| 13 |

| 13 | This Chapter Is All Over The Place, But So Am I

***

The days that progressed were just going upwards.

November 30th was filled with adventures in New York, ranging from sight seeing to going through back alleys and discovering other ditching kids with the wittiest personalities. They even showed us around the parks, and we went stargazing once more. It was beautiful.

December 1st was a calmer day, due to the rainstorm that had occupied our time. We spent it in a hotel room, watching cheesy chick flicks (again), and spending time telling stories to each other (just Brice and I). He made me laugh and my heart jump.

December 2nd was the day in which we were going back home; and home for me was the treehouse. My parents were still calling me until then, and I felt the guilt seeming to weigh me down. I didn't mind, though. Brice kept my mind off of things. He was always good at doing that. We didn't get back to Brice's house until 2:34 a.m. on December 3rd; a Monday morning.

"That was totally rad—we should do that again next week," Brice snickered as he stepped out of the car and stretched. We stood in his driveway. "What's wrong?"

"Ah, nothing," I murmured, brushing away the thoughts of my parents.

"Well, of course it isn't nothing," Brice frowned, "tell me."

"It's just—the situation about that photo and my parents," I confessed.

"Right, your parents..." Brice muttered incoherently. "And, again, isn't Isaac's dad going to do something?"

"Yeah."

"Then don't think too much of it," Brice smiled.

"But then there's my parents," I sighed, rubbing my temples. "Facing them after this is going to be difficult. They're going to find me eventually, and I'm so worried that we're going to move again, and that they're going to—"

My words were interrupted by Brice shutting me up. He planted his own lips against mine; warm, soft, and oddly tasting of vanilla. I melted for a few moment, not wanting to escape this wonderful feeling. I was the first to back up, releasing what had just occurred. We both stared at each other within the dim light.

He kissed me.

"I-I have to go," I stuttered, feeling my face heat up. I felt Brice's hand tugging at my arm, but I broke free of it.

I ran.

I ran as far as my legs could take me.

***

I ended up sitting at that bridge on the ledge, hugging my knees. The rushing water below my feet was soothing. I buried my face into my knees and released an exasperated sigh in an attempt to calm myself down.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Breathe.

It was no use telling myself that; the guilt was so suffocating. My chest was tight and my limbs had felt numb—tingly even. The mixed sensation of panic and fear was overwhelming. It was almost as if you had missed a step when going down the stairs by accident—but the feeling would repeat over and over, almost tauntingly.

He kissed me.

I blushed at the thought, almost like a teenage girl would. But I wasn't any teenage girl, and hell, I'm not even a girl.

Why did I overreact? I had probably ruined our whole relationship!

I screamed in frustration, anxiously rubbing my neck. The trees had swayed a bit more; I had probably scared some birds. Now I was completely alone again—stuck in the woods as a homeless person because I had ruined a huge relationship with just one shitty move.