Chapter 1

"I can't do this anymore Matt, you love my best friend!" I screamed at Matt, while I turn around to walk in my house.

"Caroline we need to talk about this," he said grabbing my hand. I quickly pulled away.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," I said walking to my front door and quickly shutting it. I sighed and slid down the back of the door, tears coming down on my rosy cheeks.

"Caroline please," I heard Matt say from outside.

"Go away, Matt please," I said putting my hand up to hold my face.

I heard Matt sigh and then the sound of his truck drive off. After 30 minutes of crying my eyelids began to feel heavy and I walked into my room and laid on my bed. Lost in thought I managed to fall asleep.

I woke up feeling angry and sad. My mom had not come home that night, she is probably still at the station working on the "animal" attacks. I live in Mystic Falls, where nothing is normal. Let's just leave it at that. I sighed getting up and walking to the bathroom, wiping off the smeared mascara under my eyes.

"Ugh, I need a drink" I sighed grabbing my purse and walking out the door. I arrived at the Grill sitting at the bar.

"Beer please," I said to the bartender handing him my fake I.D. He nods and walks off.

"Drinking this early in the morning?" I heard a deep voice to the side of me. I turned to see a tall handsome man.

"That makes two of us," he said again raising his glass just a little.

"Well, I have a good excuse," I said as the bartender handed me my drink.

"And what would that be love?" He asked taking a sip of his drink.

"Well, wouldn't you like to know," I said.

"That I would," he said putting down his drink.

I chugged my beer slamming my empty bottle down, looking up at the attractive man. He had a surprise look on his face.

"What you think I don't know how to drink?" I said.

He smirked and said, "That was quite impressive."

I smiled looking down. Then I thought about Matt and blurted out, "Why are men such jerks?!"

He looked like he was at a loss for words. But before he could say anything I spoke.

"Forget it. I can't do this right now." I stood up, throwing a ten on the bar and started to walk out.

"Wait!" The man grabbed my arm and turned me around to face him. "Stay. Talk to me love."

"You don't even know me." My heart skipped a beat when my eyes locked with his beautiful blue/green ones. And I became very aware that he was only a breath away.

"Sure I do, love. I know everyone in this town, Caroline."

I was taken by surprise. "But...I've never seen you before."

"I'm Klaus and I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about me."

"I'm gonna to go now," I said slowing while walking backwards.

"I'll see you around love," Klaus said with a wink.