Suddenly the door bent inward with an ear shattering slam! I fell backwards into the empty tub, as the insane thing threatened to bash the door in. So much power had been put behind that blow I had felt it reverberate through my chest, making the floor vibrate. An overpowering stench that smelled like a mix between brimstone and burning trash seeped from under the door. Muppet hid behind the toilet and I got back to my feet, shaken.
"Let me IN! Please! let...in... LET IN!" It shrieked, but as it continued screaming and slamming into the door, it's voice began to warp. It sounded less and less like Jake and turned into a raspy, throat gouging sound; the noise was less like a human voice and more like a dying animal sound. It could barely articulate words anymore but kept repeating "let in let in LET IN! Help! Let IN!"
Mom covered her ears and started crying, and I gripped my knife as rage began to replace my fear. The last time I had seen mom this shaken up and crying was when my abusive drunk of a father had left her with a black eye  before storming out of the house, never returning. My blood boiled and I stood up, stepping toward the door. I wasn't letting this thing control my mom. I couldn't let it have power over us. I was going to cut up that sick thing into a million pieces. Sooner or later it was surely going to break the door down. I wanted a good slash at it, whatever it was, before it got to us.
As I stood up, the slamming against the door and shrieking suddenly cut off. It was silent again, gone as quickly as it had started. There was the shuffling dragging sound again, getting further and further away until I couldn't hear it anymore. Without the slamming and banging, a thick quiet settled in, making a chill run down my spine and leave goosebumps prickling along my arms and legs.  I quickly darted closer to the door and pressed one ear against it.
Silence. Thick, still, silence. Even the awful smell was gone.
I looked over my shoulder at mom. "I'm going out to look,"
She shook her head vigorously and clutched at the edge of the counter "no please Daniel don't!"
I sighed. This was what every stupid horror movie character would do, wasn't it? But I had to try. "Mom if it's off somewhere else trying to find another way in --which is highly likely I might add-- I might stand a chance of getting to the phone and calling the cops. I'll have them send a whole squad down here!" I rested my palm on the cold metal of the doorknob. "I have to, we can't just sit in here like scared mice and let that thing control us! I'm going out there. Do not, and I mean it, open this door unless I knock three times and cough. Even if it sounds like me asking to come in, I won't say anything." I kept my voice low so she was the only one who could possibly hear it. It was the best chance we had of getting help. Sitting here waiting as it searched for another entrance or maybe even a way to break down the door was stupid. It was smart, I could give it that. We were only endangering ourselves more if we stayed hiding. I brandished the weapon in my hand and slowly unlocked the door. The lock made a small click ring through the dead silence. I winced a bit at the noise, waiting a moment in case it had heard. Still no response from outside, not even stirring or movement. I slowly turned the knob and cracked the door open enough to peer one eye through the slat.
The room was trashed: absolutely demolished. Furniture was upturned, the bed sheets were thrown about, shredded. What I could only guess were claw marks gouged the paint and wallpaper, going even so deep as to cut through and expose the plaster underneath.

I crept out of the door and closed it silently behind me. I heard mom lock it again. My careful footsteps were luckily muffled by the soft carpet underfoot as I surveyed the destroyed room. A picture of my mom holding a toddler me and 8 week old Muppet was on the ground. I picked it up, running my finger down the slash across both our faces. What did this thing want from us.
I darted quietly to the door and poked my head around the corner.
Nothing.
I breathed a sigh of relief and made it down the hall to the phone with no issues. The thing was nowhere to be seen. I picked up the receiver and dialed 911, feeling a rush off relief flood my chest as the operator asked what my emergency was.
"Someone broke into our house and they're armed. My mom and I are home and it's looking for us, they're crazy. Please, send as many cops as you can." I tried to keep my voice low and make up a believable story. Technically I didn't lie, but I couldn't flat out tell them some crazy creature or deranged, inhuman lunatic was shredding our house and trying to kill us. The woman operator didn't seem phased and told me to get somewhere safe and stay on the phone, and that the police were on their way. I couldn't do that... It was the home phone, an old-timey hunk of plastic wired through the wall. I didn't have a cell phone, mine had been dropped into a pond last week.
"I-I can't ma'am... I don't have a cell and they could be anywhere right now--"
BAM!
I dropped the receiver as the dull thud echoed through the house. It had come from outside, thank god. I couldn't stay on the phone now, not with mom by herself. I knew the police were already on their way and so, I abandoned the phone and darted back to where I had left mom, worry buzzing like  a million insects in my chest. I made it to the bathroom door and knocked three times, before coughing. The lock clicked after a second, making me breathe a sigh of relief. The door opened and I rushed inside, greeted immediately by my mom. "The cops are on their way," I huffed, relieved. Soon the police squad would arrive at our door and come rescue us, and maybe even shoot whatever this thing was. That was a good thought. I imagined them kicking down the door and putting holes in whatever had been terrorizing us, leaving us in peace.
Mom breathed a loud sigh of relief and I hugged her, thankful this was almost over. The police station was only five minutes away down the street, they would be here in seconds. As I hugged mom in celebration, I noticed a draft. My eyes wandered to the window in the corner.
The open window.
Suddenly, a familiar brimstone-like scent filled my nose, emanating from the one I was holding in my arms. My eyes widened. God no...

-------------
A/N: so this was my first real attempt at horror/scary story. I can seriously still improve and I'm hoping to get more into the practice with each new story. As always, I hope you enjoyed. If you liked it, or can offer constructive criticism, please leave a comment!