Chapter Thirty-One: The Cowards, the Clowns and the Courageous

Start from the beginning

“While I haven’t looked that far into the future, I will agree that Tessa and I are going to have some pretty adorable babies,” he said right after a long sigh. “If only they wouldn’t inherit their mother’s obstinacy.”

I snorted. “News flash, Jake—she’s not the only one with that gene.”

We were chuckling as we headed for his car parked at the end of the block when my phone rang. 

“Hello?” I asked, since the call display only showed the phone number but no name.

There was no answer at first—just a series of harsh, ragged breaths. 

“Hello?” I prompted again, stopping mid-stride. 

I had this ugly feeling it was someone I knew but I couldn’t put a finger on it.

Layla’s prepaid cellphone came up as Poppy Pett (because I liked the name even though she thought it was ridiculous) and the other number we provided Danny and Riley with showed as Rusty Ruiz (because I liked it too).

“Char?” a faint, trembling voice finally came through the line. 

My body stiffened into alert mode as I replayed the sound of my name over and over again in my head until I could tag the voice. 

Bessy.

“Charlotte, is everything okay?”Jake asked, drawing me back to reality, his face etched with concern.

I held up a finger to my lips to quiet him before I lowered my head to focus on the sounds from the other line.

“It’s me,” I said gently, not wanting to startle her. “What’s going on?”

She burst into small, suppressed gasps, as if she was having trouble breathing. “I’m at the... the c-clinic to... you know? I thought I could b-but... I... I c-can’t!”

It felt like a fist pounded straight into my chest as Bessy’s words sank in.

“Where are you?” I asked, gripping the phone so tight in my hands, I could feel the sweat squishing on my curled palm. “Where are you? I’ll come get you.”

“But I have to! I h-have to...” Bessy was full-blown sobbing on the other line now. “He told me I have to, Char... I h-have to...”

“You don’t have to do a damn thing, do you hear me?” I snapped, stepping out to the edge of the sidewalk and flailing my hand up in the air to get a taxi’s attention. “Stay put. Text me where you are. I’ll come get you and we’ll fix this, okay?”

“Charlotte, what the hell are you doing?” Jake demanded, gripping my shoulder and yanking me to face him. “Who’s on the phone? What’s going on?”

“I’ve got to go, okay?” I told him, cupping a hand over my phone. “I’ll call you later, Jake.”

A taxi pulled up in front of me and I scrambled into it. I tried to shut the door but Jake grabbed it and held it open. 

“What’s the address?” I asked Bessy on the phone again as Jake and I played tug-of-war on the door while the hysterical woman on the other line just kept sobbing. “Focus! What’s the address?”

“For the love of God, Charlotte!” Jake hissed, glaring at me. “Wherever you’re going, I’m coming with you!”

I rattled off the address, growing desperate to reach Bessy without further delay. In her state of mind, God knows she might do something she would truly regret. 

“Charlotte!” Jake barked to get my attention. “Something’s wrong and—Ow!”

I smacked his hand hard enough that he had to release his grip on the door, wincing when he shot me a scathing look.