Chapter One: David Simmons

     Amanda dragged her wet feet up the metal steps. It had been one hell of a day. The garbage man had woken her up at 4:30 am to yell at her about having her bins too close to the cars that litter the street. They weren't even her bins! And then her mother called up to complain about something or other that her younger brother did or didn't do. Like I care. Her university was full of idiots, including the lecturers and she had a 6 hour shift at Draft Cafe, which included snotty high-schoolers and crying babies. Overall, not her best day.

     She rummaged in her bag for keys and jimmied open her door. Stupid old piece of crap. As she stepped through the door she sighed, glad to out of the pouring rain. Shaking the water droplets off her umbrella, she inhaled the scent of food. Mmm, I wonder what mum's cooking?

     It was then that Amanda realised that she lives alone.

     Over the pounding rain she could hear someone humming. A burglar? No, why would someone break in to steal stuff only to cook dinner. A murderer? Perhaps they were waiting for me to get home and they got hungry? No, that makes even less sense. A crazy person? Plausible, but unlikely.

     She snatched the umbrella and gripped it, her only weapon against this possible burglar/murderer/crazy person. She made her way to the kitchen and after a moment of hesitation, she stepped around the corner and brandished her weapon at the intruder.

     "Who the hell are you and why are you cooking in my kitchen?"

     It was one of the strangest situations Amanda had been in. It wouldn't be the last and certainly not the weirdest, but definitely strange.

     First thing she noticed was that he was tall. Actually, that's a lie. The first thing she noticed was he was wearing the pink polka dot frilly apron that her brother bought her for Christmas last year. Then she noticed he was tall.

     "Ah, yes. I can see how this might look. But don't panic. I am a professional." He announced proudly, waving around spatula, before the stove caught fire.

     I raised an eyebrow.

     "That's supposed to happen?" he said meekly.

     I rushed over and turned the stove, somehow momentarily forgetting the intruder. After she put the fire out, she turned back to the intruder.

     "I have no idea who the hell you are and frankly, I don't care. Just get out my house."

     Her hands and voice were shaking from not only anger, but  fear. She started inching towards the phone. Noticing this, he darted between her and the phone, hands up in a surrendering sort of way.

     "Now, I know this looks bad-"

     "Bad?!" she glanced around the kitchen and to note of the broken window. "You broke into my house, used my food to make spaghetti and then set my kitchen on fire! How do you even set frozen spaghetti on fire!"

      "It's more of an apartment than a house." he muttered, and louder he said. "And plus, it wasn't my fault. You...distracted me. I had everything under control."

     "Under control? Under control! Get out! Get out of my apartment! Now!" she screamed, waving the umbrella and chasing him around the kitchen.

     "Look, if you just calm down and stop trying to hitting me, i would be able to tell you why I'm here!" he yelped.

     "You have an actual reason?"

     She didn't know what made her pause. Her thoughts were becoming sluggish, but she quickly shook it off.