1.1. Welcome to the Kaluwalhatian

December 21, 2079

Christmas was fast approaching, but Almira didn't feel any excitement in the upcoming holiday as she wiped the glasses. She has no idea if she would be in the right position to celebrate; crime rates are increasing and the current riots regarding the Tres Nomer Supermalls incident has caused quite an uproar. Then again, it's always like this today in Quezon City, or probably in other cities in Metro Manila.

At least in the Kaluwalhatian, the bar she was working in, she felt safe. The Kaluwalhatian was not like the bars in the main streets of Quezon City. It was located on the boundary between the slums and the metropolitan areas of Quezon City. The purple neon lights were enough to give ample lighting inside the bar; it was not too dim, not too blinding. Movie posters adorned the gray brick walls. A flat-screen LED TV was built on a wall facing the bar counters, flashing several news reports or other commercials should either of the bartenders switch channels. Two talking vending machines can be found outside the bar. On the other hand, two arcade machines are inside the bar for customers who want to pass time aside from drinking their sorrows away.

Almira was used to this kind of atmosphere; in fact, she considered this her safe space. Then again, the Kaluwalhatian, as others put it, is the oasis in the middle of the harsh, mechanical desert.

She heard the clinking of keys outside the black wooden door. It's probably Bossing, Almira thought.

Alas, she was proven wrong.

"O...kay, Vincent." Almira stopped cleaning the glasses when she saw Vincent enter the pub as if it was just an ordinary day. Two days ago, Vincent asked their Bossing Victor if he would take a leave for two days due to urgent matters. That kind of 'urgent matters,' he didn't even bother to expound, although he did note that his friend Sebastian was going with him. At the same time, a terrorist attack happened at Tres Nomer Supermalls, followed by a series of riots and mass lynching of suspected criminals. Up until this day, the riots and lynching continue even during late afternoon, and especially during midnight. Almira almost got attacked by a lowlife and received a few cuts and bruises after defending herself, but Vincent?

Vincent arrived unscathed; his laidback disposition remained unshaken.

"Hm? What's with the WTF face, Mira?" The male bartender even had the nerve to chuckle as he walked to his spot behind the bar counter. He noticed the dusty wraps on her arm. "Holy hell, where did you get that?"

"Some bastard tried to mug me while the riots are going on. As if an icepick's going to scare me, but look at what happened to me," Mira sighed as she waved her bandaged arm. "And you look like nothing happened to you. Anyway, your urgent matters got solved? Jules was looking for you yesterday, and she looked so worried when she found out that you took a leave in the middle of all this mess."

"Psh, you should've told her that I'll be back in one piece. I mean, look at me. I'm still alive." Vincent spread out his arms, forming a Y-shaped pose.

"Yeah, and without bruises, even. Seriously, what are you even made of?"

"Boyfriend material." Vincent grinned.

Almira rolled her eyes and continued wiping the glasses. "Jesus Christ, Vincent. If you're going to deliver corny pick-up lines, please, no."

"Wait!" Vincent ignored what Almira said. "Actually, I'm made of husband material."

Almira muttered a curse under her breath. "And since you're gone for two days, and you just managed to utter two horrible pick-up lines, I delegate you to cleaning duty today." She pointed at the bathroom doors.