“Not going,” Nocte replied, opening the door.

“Yes,” Occult said. “You are.”

Nocte almost dropped the phone when she saw her sister at the door, flanked by her Domino Guards. Domino Guard Two, in particular, was holding a phone up to the psychic’s ear.

Nocte was so glad Savvy was in the bathroom and not present to witness this catastrophe-in-the-making.

“You five-wayed Occult?” Nocte accused her siblings incredulously, her teeth clacking against her braces for emphasis. “And you didn’t tell me?”

“You were too busy with mom and dad’s present to hear us dial,” Ebony explained self-righteously.

“Well, fine,” Nocte said, rather presumptuously. “That means I have to let you guys go. I’m going to be spending some quality time with Occult now. Ta, ta!”

“But I want-”

Nocte placed the phone back onto its receiver, cutting off the last of Ebony’s sentence. Seeing this, Domino Guard Two turned off Occult’s cell phone accordingly.

“You know that irritates her,” Occult reproached, although the smirk on her face showed her endorsement.

“How’d you get into Wrath?” Nocte questioned, crossing her arms.

“Melissa Witley signed me in,” Occult answered nonchalantly.

“Witley?” Nocte repeated uncomfortably.

She remembered the beautiful auburn from the elevator and frowned. She had been certain that the girl had forgotten about her, but now she was beginning to suspect that the auburn knew where she lived… But then again, who didn’t? She felt uneasy at the prospect of being spied on.

“You’re going,” Occult said.

Nocte broke from the thoughts, mildly startled by the sudden change of subject. “What?”

“The Halloween Dance.”

“Um… no,” Nocte said decidedly. Occult couldn’t possibly believe that after that horrible conversation in the hospital that she would welcome her suggestions. “No, I’m not.”

“Important people will be there, including that wretched deputy headmaster,” Occult informed, the last part more to herself than Nocte. “It is necessary for you to show yourself.”

“And if I don’t show myself?” Nocte pressed.

“You will,” the younger said, certain of the outcome.

Nocte opened her mouth to retort-

“Because if you don’t, our family will hear of it.”

-and then shut it with a clack.

Oh, her sister was good. She knew Nocte couldn’t very well agitate the Elders any further.

“I can’t dance,” Nocte pointed out, as if that fact alone could save her from the coming horrors.

“Then learn,” Occult said stiffly. “Paine will, of course, be there. He would never miss it. You cannot expect him to attend without attending yourself, can you? You can’t possibly let him win.”

Nocte raised a brow. “I wasn’t aware we were in a competition.”

“Well, you are,” her sister said bluntly. “Remember your dreadful defeat in Black Spells?”

Nocte clenched her teeth, and gritted, “If we’re in a competition, then everyone must be keeping score.”

“We are,” Occult stated matter-of-factly. “And you’re losing.”