IX: THE DAY THE WORLD BEGAN

DORIAN'S HAND RESTS on Isaac's knee the entire drive home, and he can't find it in himself to move it. Especially when Mia hisses something at Roy about being 'a fucking queer' and Isaac shrinks in on himself, keeping his head lowered. He resists calling Mia out and instead wraps an arm around Isaac's shoulder, feeling the goosebumps that cover his arms at the motion.

Eventually, Isaac falls asleep, his head resting lightly against Dorian's shoulder. He also resists kissing his head, but nobody has to know that.

"So, Dorian," Roy starts, in the same dramatic tone that he always speaks in. Dorian looks up to find him turned around in the passenger seat, hair falling in wet curls down his forehead. "You and Van Gogh here make a cute couple."

Before Dorian can say anything, Mia does, rolling her eyes. "Fuck off, Roy, Dorian's not even gay."

"Oh, I'm gay," Dorian says, a little harsher than he means to. "I'm very gay." He glares at Mia, and Mitchy and Roy erupt into laughter. They almost wake Isaac, but Dorian pulls him closer and leans his chin on top of his head, and he settles down. Once Roy is finished wiping his eyes and sighing dramatically, he looks back at Dorian.

"Anyways," Roy smirks, sending Mia a look, "you should ask him out. He needs someone."

"Jesus, Roy," Mitchy mutters, pulling into Isaac's driveway. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you love Solo Man."

"Hm. You wish." Roy grins, and to Dorian's surprise, leans over and kisses Mitchy. Mia squirms and turns to look out the window instead, and Dorian smirks. He opens the car door and gets out, gently coaxing Isaac awake. "Come on," he whispers, grabbing Isaac's backpack and camera for him. They walk up to his front door, and Isaac starts blushing again. Dorian bites back a smile. "That's a pretty color on you."

Isaac blushes even harder, taking his camera and backpack from Dorian. "Uh, I'll see you on Monday." He whispers. Dorian hums.

"What about tomorrow? I can come pick you up and we can go somewhere without having to hear Mia and Roy murder each other." Raising his eyebrows, Dorian smiles at the way Isaac's lips twitch, and he smiles, too. "Oh. Okay."

"Great," Dorian cups Isaac's jaw in his hand, and for a brief moment, is filled with the urge to kiss him. But instead, he drops his hand and heads back to the car, his chest filled with all the colors that he's been missing.

»

Isaac is up early on Sunday, looking at the pictures of Dorian he took. Late last night, after his mother went to sleep, he went to go get them developed, so that he could stare at them like he does now, his cheeks aching from his smile. He gathers all the pictures and puts them into his sketchbook, and when he closes it he holds it to his heart. He closes his eyes and presses a kiss to the top of the book, then giggles at himself when he realizes how dazed he must look.

The sound of knocking at the front door jerks Isaac out of his thoughts, and he checks his reflection in the mirror. He ruffles his hair a few times and then hurries down the stairs before anymore knocks can sound. He pulls open the door and bounces on the heels of his feet when he sees Dorian standing on his doorstep, grinning widely. He's wearing the army jacket that Isaac always draws him in, and he seems to glow in the sunlight. Isaac is convinced for a minute that he's actually an angel.

"Good morning. Can I come in?"

"No," Isaac blurts, then thinks better of it at Dorian's confused face. "Uh, there's no need. Let's go." He steps out and closes the door behind him, then turns to look up at Dorian again.

"You're weird, Solomon," Dorian smiles and shakes his head, and then does something that makes Isaac's heart beat so fast he's sure he'll die; he grabs Isaac's hand. They walk down the driveway to Dorian's car, and Dorian opens the door. Isaac's face heats up as he gets in, and in the time that Dorian takes to walk over to the driver' side, he says a little prayer and thanks God for sending Dorian Gray to Earth around the same time as him.

"Okay," Dorian says once he gets into the car. He puts on his seatbelt and motions for Isaac to do the same(this also makes Isaac blush) before starting the car. "Do you want to go get breakfast? I've been here for a good month or so, but I've found a pretty good place."

"Yes." Isaac says, and then scolds himself for sounding so eager. "I mean, sure. Yeah."

Dorian raises his eyebrows, but just grins and drives away from Isaac's house.

»

Dorian sits in a booth next to Isaac a couple of miles away from his house, holding open a menu for the both of them to read. It's quiet, aside from the sound of his own heart hammering in his ears. He prays that Isaac can't hear it. The waitress is getting closer and closer to their table, so he turns to Isaac and closes the menu.

"Let's play twenty questions."

Isaac's eyebrows shoot up, and Dorian feels his face heating up. "I mean, I want to get to know you." He adds.

"Really?"

Isaac lets out a soft laugh, raising his head to look at Dorian. He squints as sunlight streams through the window of the cafe, and the flecks of gold in his eyes are too much for Dorian. He looks down at the table, biting at his lip.

"You go first."

Shrugging haphazardly, Isaac bites his own lip(a motion that makes Dorian's head spin) and averts his eyes.

"Do you like boys?"

Dorian smiles at this, shaking his head lightly when the waitress approaches the table. "I love 'em. Do you?"

Isaac tenses noticeably, and Dorian wonders for a moment if everything he's trying to achieve is all for nothing. Then Isaac's cheeks flush, and he looks up at Dorian.

"I like you."

--

im tired of straight tv shows havin sideline gay couples like i shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of hetero bullshit in order to see a gay couple in like every five episodes jeez