Confines

Danny wandered down to breakfast a few days later. It was strange how quickly this place had started to feel familiar. He already knew the frequent gathering places, where you could be alone, the times most people went to bed, and various other ins and outs of life in their safe haven. 

But a worry still lurked at the back of his mind. He had to ask Vlad the next time he saw-

Almost as if the thought had summoned him, Vlad walked out of a door in front of Danny. They both gave small jumps of surprise as they saw each other. 

"Oh, good morning Daniel," Vlad greeted, tucking a sheet of paper into his coat pocket. "Are you settling in well?"

"Yes thank you," Danny said, walking alongside him as they continued on their way to breakfast. 

"You're looking better," Vlad observed. "Maybe we can start your training sometime tomorrow. If you think you're up for it of course."

"Yeah!" Danny gasped, distracted and delighted. "Definitely!"

Vlad smiled, his red eyes glowing warmly. 

"You really have brought new life into this place you know Daniel. It's been so long since these children have met anyone new. For obvious reasons they're not allowed to meet any visitors that come calling. And the last time we tried to take a trip outside was..."

He trailed off sadly.

"Well, let's just say we won't be doing that again."

Danny looked at him curiously for more. But Vlad's silence told him that he wouldn't get any more of the story from him. Danny made a mental note to ask D'yani for the full story later. 

They reached the end of the hall, just a few turns away from the dining room. Danny stopped walking, causing Vlad to pause and give him a questioning look. 

"Um... There's been something I've been wondering about lately," he began awkwardly. 

"Ask away," Vlad prompted.

"Well, when you rescued me from Space Corps they still had my family in custody. Once I was dead they were supposed to let them go back to their normal lives, but since things didn't work out as planned they might have... I mean I don't know what they did with them. Do you have any way to see what happened. Someone inside Space Corps? A way to check their records?" 

Danny felt himself go red at this rush of words and questions. Vlad had already done so much for him and all he ever did was ask for more. He looked down and fidgeted as he waited for a response. 

"Daniel, everything is fine!" Vlad reassured him. 

"Don't worry. You're right. I do have a special access to Space Corps files and I know that your family and friends were returned back home just a few days ago. Space Corps knows they weren't responsible for your escape, and I guess they just didn't need them at headquarters anymore.  They'll undoubtedly have surveillance over them, but no harm came to your family."

Danny looked up at Vlad, relief breaking over his face. 

"They're safe?"

"Absolutely," Vlad confirmed. "You needn't concern yourself with this any more. I'll keep an eye on the situation and tell you immediately if anything changes."

He placed a hand on Danny' s shoulder. 

"I wouldn't worry though. Space Corps isn't going to go after your family as long as you stay unconnected to them. You'll be safe here, and they'll be safe there."

Danny's smile slipped a little as he realized what Vlad was saying. 

"So I won't get to see them again?"

Vlad looked at him sadly. 

"Not any time soon. But who knows? I've been trying to develop suits which will mask a Halpha's radiation signature entirely. Maybe some day I'll perfect it and you can all travel wherever you want. But until then, you must all stay here. Here you can be free."

Danny gave a nod of understanding. Vlad guided him into the kitchen and left him in the care of his fellow Halphas. 

Once alone in the hall, Vlad heaved a deep sigh. He pulled out the piece of paper from his coat, reading the information once again. Information about captive scientists that knew Danny better than anyone alive. Information straight from Space Corps. 

Vlad folded the paper back into his pocket and returned to the kitchen, grateful that no one could see the regrets and doubts building in his mind.