Thirteen

Florence walked down the corridor, several books and parchment in her hand. The girl had gone to the library and forgot her bag in her dormitory. Instead of going back and getting it she decided to carry it all back. She turned a corner and rammed into someone. Her books, parchment, and ink went flying.

"Watch it." The boy snapped. Florence glared at the boy.

"Me? I was the one carrying all this stuff! You're the one who should've watched it." Florence barked. Her hazel eyes looked at the Slytherin. From his stringy, greasy hair, and his hooked nose caused Florence to scowl.

"Severus."

"Florence." The two hadn't gotten along from day one. They disagreed on almost everything and their values highly different from one another's.

"Oy! I don't think Florence here needs all your grease on her." Sirius stated, coming up next to Florence.

"I don't need you here either, but a girl can only dream."

"I'm just trying to help." He said, crossing his arms.

"Oh I get it. I'm the damsel in the distress and the prince in shining armor has to come save me because I can't do anything for myself. Is that it?" Sirius looked taken back.

"No, no that's not it." Florence picked up herself supplies and began to walk away.

"And will you two quit glaring at each other? Just walk away! It's not that hard." Florence shouted back at the two. She sighed and carried the supplies back to the common room.

The next morning the common room was quiet. Everyone still asleep as the sun began to creep over the land. When Florence walked into the common room she was surprised to see Remus sitting there.

"What are you doing up early?" Florence asked. Remus shrugged and closed his book.

"Couldn't sleep."

"Well, do you want to come outside with me?"

"Yeah, I guess." He set his book down and followed Florence.

"You sure you're feeling all right Remus? You look extremely pale." Florence noted.

"I'm fine."

"Remus."

"I promise Flo, I'm fine." Florence didn't ask again, but she knew he was lying.

Once outside Remus wrapped his arms around himself as the bitter morning air settled on him. When Florence breathed her breath was visible, causing the girl to smile.

"Don't you just love early mornings, Remus?" Florence asked. She turned to the boy with a smile.

"No, not really." Florence sighed.

"Am I the only one who enjoys getting up early?"

"Most likely."

"Then fine, go back inside and sit in the common room. I'm going to run. If you would like to join you may."

"I won't run, but I'll walk around the lake with you." Florence jumped in place a little. "Flo, you look like a dolphin." Florence stopped jumping.

"Fine, let's go." Remus smiled and the two went to the edge of the lake.

"Beautiful, don't you think?" Remus asked her as they walked.

"Lakes aren't my thing. The forest is beautiful!"

"You've been in the forest?"

"Oh yeah, a bunch of times. I didn't like it at first, but now it's my little hangout." Remus nodded.

"So, looking forward to Quidditch next year?"

"Am I? I can't describe how excited I am. I just hope I make the team."

"I'm sure you will."

"I just got to get Ben Kellner to come with me. He always forgets."

"Seeker, right? Isn't that what you want to do?"

"Chaser."

"Oh, my bad." A small grumble made itself present from Remus' stomach. A smirk formed on Florences' face.

"I'll race ya' back." She said.

"Only if I get a head start."

"Deal." Remus turned and sprinted towards the castle. Only after a few seconds Florence sprinted after him.

Anna walked down the corridor towards the Great Hall. Her hair in a ponytail as her grey eyes looked around.

"Anna!" Someone called. Anna sighed as the boy appeared next to her.

"Hello, Ben." She greeted. Her grey eyes traveled up to his face. "You're glasses are crooked." She told him. He ran his hand through his dark brown hair and adjusted his glasses.

"Anna, has anyone ever told you that your sort of small?" Anna scoffed.

"Yes Benjamin, in quite aware." Ben clicked his tongue and waved his hand in a dismissing manner.

"Benjamin is so formal don't you think? I prefer Ben."

"Last time I checked Benjamin was your real name. Would you prefer Benji?"

"No, that's what my cousin named her dog." Anna laughed as the two entered the Great Hall.

"Well, Benjamin, unlike you I have friends. So, I'm going to go eat with them."

"I have friends!" Ben called as Anna made her way to the Hufflepuff table.

"Whatever you say!" Anna called back. Ben chuckled and headed to the Gryffindor table.