Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

“So, Matty’s comes highly recommended by a few of my co-workers.” Parker mentioned in a rare silence between him and Brynna. She had called him back the day after she got home, apologizing for standing him up again, and they had talked on the phone almost every day since. Brynna wouldn’t let him come over, though he’s offered numerous times.

“Matty’s is pretty popular.”

“Sounds like it. But when you first told me about it you said ‘diner’. The way everyone else is describing it, it sounds like it’s some upscale restaurant.”

“Well, it started out as a diner. Over the years Matty has expanded and changed it quite a bit, but he’s adamant about keeping the name.”

“Ah, either way I’ve decided that my cousin is taking me there for my celebration dinner on Friday. I’d like for you to join us.”

“I’d love to, but I’m actually working Friday night. So I can’t join you, but I’ll be there. What are we celebrating?”

“I got a small promotion. Not really a big deal, but my cousin insists on going out.”

“It’s a pretty big deal, congratulations!”

“Thank you. So how are you holding up, anyway?” He turned the conversation to her and she sighed. The last time they talked was pretty brief. Brynna was in a foul mood. On top of that, she was going stir crazy from being cooped up for the past week and a half.

“I’m just so happy to finally be going to work in a few days. Aiden’s come over a couple times and Paige comes over. The other day she brought about a month’s worth of alcohol.”

“I knew there was something else wrong yesterday. You were hung over, weren’t you?” Parker asked, sounding completely amused.

“We drank, and that’s all I’m admitting to. Seems to be all Paige wants to do now that she’s found something I can drink.” Not wanting to get into how peculiar Paige has been, she quickly changed the subject back to him. “What time are you coming to Matty’s?”

“We plan on being there by seven. When does your shift end?”

Brynna was distracted from answering when she heard the front door of her house open. She got out of the chair she was lounging on and peeked through the hall to see Ash come in and shut the door. “Um, I usually get out of there by ten or so. I’m going to have to call you back, my brother is here.”

“I’ll talk to you soon then.”

“Bye Parker,” she hung up with him as Ash came into the room. “What brings you here? I thought you were… somewhere else.” She said, forgetting exactly where he said he was going to be this week.

“We came back early. Bryn. I want you to meet my fiancé and her daughter.” Brynna’s eyes widened and she glanced at the doorway. She was sure she only saw Ash walk in. “They’re not with me now. They’re at the hotel. I want us to have that talk, right now, so we can decide where we are with each other. If you decide you still want to hate me, then obviously being a part of each others’ lives isn’t going to work.”

Brynna eyed Ash as he took a seat on the couch and she followed suit, curling up in the chair she had been in. “So, where do we start?”

“How did you end up meeting Mike Cameron?”

Brynna made a face. “Your assistant coach in high school?” Ash nodded. Brynna took a moment to even remember how she met him. It had been years ago and she didn’t even know Ash knew about them. “I went to all your games, it’s not that surprising that we’d run into each other and say hi.”