Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

            “You okay?” Aiden asked Brynna as he took her hand.

            “I thought Del would at least show up for this.” She said quietly instead of answering. The funeral service had finished and they were just waiting on Cinder, who went into the bathroom to try to compose herself better. Aiden didn’t quite know what to say about the brother who hasn’t been seen since she told him the news so he just nodded and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. Cinder came back out just then, eyes finally dry and immediately tucked herself under Spencer’s arm, where she spent the majority of her day.

            “I’m just going to say bye to Spencer, then I’ll meet you at the car,” she told Brynna, who nodded before following Aiden to her car.

            “You going home afterwards?” He asked. Brynna and Cinder were heading to the lawyer’s for the reading of the will.

            “Yeah, I was able to take off of work at the restaurant and the school, but I still go to the bar tonight.”

            “He didn’t even let you take a night off for your grandpa’s funeral?”

            “I didn’t ask.” She told him, then quickly added after she saw the astounded look on his face, “I’m already so close to being fired for leaving early so many times to deal with Del. It wouldn’t be worth it to ask for tonight. He’d either make me work anyway or I’d be fired.”

            Aiden frowned, but didn’t say anything to express his discontent since Cinder was heading their way. “I’ll be at your apartment then. I’ll make something to eat before you leave.”

            He didn’t give her a chance to respond before walking away to his own car. Cinder gave her sister a questioning look. “Before you leave?”

            “I have to work tonight. I couldn’t take it off.”

            Brynna could tell Cinder was disappointed even though she nodded like it was fine. Nothing was said the rest of the way to Portland, where Mr. Steiers’ office was. They made it there just a bit earlier than their appointment was scheduled for but the secretary was able to take them straight back to his office anyway.

            They were silent the whole way into Portland, and again the whole way back home. They gradually made their way up to the apartment where they were met with the most amazing smell and the table already set for the three of them. The empty space where Del should be nagged at Brynna.

            “Oh good, I was worried the food would get cold. Perfect timing.” Aiden said when he very nearly ran into them coming out of the kitchen with a large dish of lasagna. Aiden, also, was an amazing cook.

            “Smells wonderful.” Cinder told him.

            “Want to make the salad for me?” He asked her. She hurried into the kitchen, eager to help. Brynna smiled when Aiden met her eyes and put on her best pleading expression.

            “What are you doing for the rest of the night.”

            “Just cleared my schedule. What do you need?”

            “Will you stay here for her?”

            “Of course. We’ll have a slumber party!” He told her, very over-excitedly as Cinder rushed back out of the kitchen.