The Samson Brothers -The Revelation

The Samson Brothers

Revelation

Chapter 1

All of the everyday routines that come with living with some one have been a feat to say the least.  Especially, with someone you do not know.

Sawyer Samson is the man in reference. When I was sixteen years old, he led me, along with everyone else, to believe that he, himself, had died in a horrible accident. Sammy Samson, the love of my life, and Sawyer’s twin brother, in fact, was the one who had died. It still hurts deeply to think about it.

Sawyer has lived the lie of being Sammy for over fifteen years now, and I am the only one who knows the truth.  May, my best friend, I will lose forever if she was to find out the truth. After all, she is the mother of Sawyer’s twin girls. She too believes Sawyer is dead, and I can’t bring myself to tell her.  I know how selfish this sounds, no, how selfish this is.

I have known now for over a month. What exactly will I say to May? Sawyer is alive, Sammy is the one who died, but I can’t lose Sawyer too?  No matter how much she loves me, I somehow doubt she will understand. I have so many questions I am terrified to ask. Not because I am afraid of Sawyer, or afraid he will get angry, but because I am not so sure I can handle the answers. I am absolutely terrified of the answers.

It’s half past four in the afternoon. The sweats running down my back lets me know I have, in fact, been productive today. This house is in desperate need of attention, which I often neglect.  A cool breeze runs through the open window and causes chills to rise over my sticky body. I pull the soaking wet bandana over the top of my head; I can feel my hair stuck in a wild spread over my entire head. I relax against my sofa. The cool wind is so inviting to just sleep.

Sawyer will be home soon. He spends most of his days dealing in cattle. In Texas, bulls are a productive business. With the buying, selling, and slaughtering it is a non-stop business. The same business in North Carolina, though it was profitable, had nothing on what it is here. I don’t think Sawyer ever expected to be this wealthy, I know I didn’t. But all the money in the world hasn’t made the haunting eyes of Sammy Samson go away.

There are things I have to know. Whether I want to or not, things that keep me awake at night, things that make me doubt my own sanity, things that I just can’t get past.  This idea of being able to live the rest of my life, pretending, is a fantasy quickly fading away.

The sound of the phone ringing makes me jump. The name across the screen of my phone makes my belly turn a little. I just can’t get use to it, not now that I know the truth.  Sammy Samson is dead.

“Hi,” I force on my pretend voice and try desperately to sound genuine. “Hi, you need anything; I’m on my way in.”  He sounds like Sammy, he looks like Sammy, but no matter how hard I try, I can’t pretend anymore.  “No, I have everything for dinner. But you are almost out of soda. If you don’t want tea, you had better pick up a couple.”  I waited for his response.  “Ok, I’ll be there in a few. Sky, I love you.”  I know he does. I know he would never hurt me; he would do anything for me. But the truth is, I have to know exactly what happened to Sammy. Did Sawyer kill him? My stomach lurched in pain as the returning vision of Sammy’s crystal clear blue eyes rampaged through my brain.  “I love you too.”  And I do, but things on the inside of me are changing. And I can’t seem to stop it from happening.

After ending the call with “See ya soon.” I ran around the house finishing up small tasks like taking out the trash, and pushing start on the dishwasher. As I was stepping into the shower I heard the front door close. 

“Sky?” His deep voice came through the house with no problems at all. “In here.”  I yelled as the cool pellets of water took my breath away. Over the sound of the shower I could hear his heavy boots bringing him closer to me. Fear, there is always a bit of fear when it comes to Sawyer. But one look in his loving green eyes makes me push those silly fears aside.

“You’ve been busy today.” Without looking I knew he was sitting on the toilet taking off his boots. He would wash his hands and face, before feeding the animals, and then take his own shower.  “You can tell?”  The smell of honeysuckle and lilac began to fill the room as I washed out my short black hair.  “It looks good, what do you say to eating out tonight? That way we won’t mess up that kitchen of yours.”  I could hear the smile on his face.

I pulled the curtain back, and Sawyer was leaned against the sink. His emerald green eyes glowing through his extremely dark tan. The only time he wore his contacts now, was when May and her family was around.  There are only two visible differences between Sammy and Sawyer, their eyes, and their birth marks.  Sammy had a horse shoe shaped birthmark on his shoulder and crystal blue eyes.  Sawyer has emerald green eyes and a small circle birthmark on his knee.

His massive chest had me drooling over him. Since working here he had doubled in size. I wasn’t complaining. I chuckled at the site of his farmers tan.  I tried to talk him into going without a shirt on the weekends to at least try to even it out some.  It seems like no matter how much sun he gets on the weekends, he can never catch up. His arms, face, and legs are ten times darker than his shinning whit chest, belly, and back.

I smiled at him as I stepped from the shower and he wrapped me up in a towel. “Dinner sounds great.” I said avoiding his eyes all together. Maybe if I didn’t look straight into them, maybe if I only focused on the parts that are identical to Sammy, I could keep pretending.  Maybe.