"Welcome to the student council room."

 "The student council- What you want me to join?" I tilt my head again.

"No, this is just a special place for me."

I think about English class. "You're Otonashi, right?"

"How did you know?" He furrows his brows.

"My last class. The Sensei took attendance and you were in the student council room. You said this place was special for you. Why is that?" He thinks for a moment.

 "A couple reasons. Two people, one especially, that were very close to me visited this place very often. And I'm student body president."

 I gasp fakely. "Student body president! Where's your badge? Can I get an autograph?" I say sarcastically.

"There's one place, even more sacred then here where I think I'll explain things."

"Lead the way..." I utter. I leave my books in the student council room. "By the way, I'm Nakashima Ren." He nods. We go outside, but I don't question it. "So," I say as we enter the teacher's dorm, "We won't get detention for skipping class?"

"No, they're NPC's. For them, life goes on."

 "NPC's? Isn't that a video game thing?" He chuckles.

 "Same thing I said."

“How did you know I wasn’t one?”

“NPCs are careful not to bump into each other. And you had a pained look on your face.” I frown, knowing he was probably right. “Not to mention, your reaction. Most NPC's accept help when they need it.”

So you wanna play it like that, Otonashi? Cold...

 We go to the principal’s office and he slides through an open door. In the room, besides a desk and a few couches and tables, scattered around are a sword, a pair of handcuffs, a halberd, cute wind up dog toys, an open bag of chips two laptop computers and a ear piece, a Martial Arts uniform, complete with a black belt and cans of healthy food. The kind of stuff a body builder would eat.

“Man, this principal has some interesting hobbies.” I laugh and bend down to admire a little white dog.

“You could say that.” Otonashi steps around me. “Welcome to the Afterlife Battlefront headquarters.” He says it proudly, but when I look at him, he looks as if he’s about to crumple to the floor crying.

“Afterlife Battlefront… Interesting name.” I walk over to the desk, trying not to kill myself on the various objects around the room and open the drawer. Inside, besides gun magazines and bullets, is a cute little white beret. I take it out and examine it carefully. Underneath it are two, shiny Berretta 92’s. Those startle me into almost dropping the beret.... I ignore them however.

“Who’s beret?” I feel like putting it on my head.

“It was,” he chokes. “It was Yuri’s.” I feel like I've just touched a sacred item. I put it back in the drawer quickly. For a few minutes, Otonashi says nothing, and I poke around in the room, no longer touching anything. I finally come to rest on the couch, next to Otonashi. His fingers are entwined as he stares at the floor. I look down too, and finally notice what I’m wearing. It’s an ugly sand colored blazer with a black, pleated skirt. The bolo tie with a fake, red stone doesn’t exactly help either. The male uniform is just as boring, black pants and a black blazer. I wiggle my toes in the slippers, wanting to wear my outside shoes, just so I can run away and not come back to this weird place. The silence kills me. Well, at least it would have if I was still alive.