"Oh really?" I say.

"Yeah. She was my best friend."

  "Well, that's good to know. I'm Nakashima Ren by the way."

  She scoffs. "I already knew that! You okay? It's me. Hitomi." She smiles.

 "Right... Well, if you want, you can call me Ren." I input.

 The bell rings. "Well, free period. I'm off! See you later, Ren!"

"Later." I collect my things and unsure of where I'm supposed to be, I decide to ditch and wander around. If you can ditch a free period.

What was this place? How did they know my name? I didn't tell anyone. Well, except Hitomi-San. And that was after the fact…

        Lost in thought, I crash into a student, much bigger than me and it looks as if he eats 5 orders of Beef Udon for every meal. It sends me to the floor, and I drop all my books. He steps over me like as if I was a Pocky wrapper, which a person like him would take interest in then, find it's empty and continue on. Stunned, I watch a boy with orangish-red hair round the corner. He sees me and rushes over to pick up my books. I snap out of it and stand up. "What are you doing?!" I say, a slightly irritated.

"Just helping out. Are you lost?" He smirks.

 "What? Thanks by the way. But, what do you mean lost? I mean I just showed up and people are treating me like I've been here all along. I don't even know where I am! Sure, I'm lost. I just. I don't get any. I don't get anything anymore!"

  Why did He… do this to me?

 I screw my eyes shut and turn around fast, hoping to get out of here. Something grabs my shoulder and I spin around to find the boy taking his hand back. I freeze, lost in his eyes, which are surprisingly warm, yet have a deep sadness to them. I rip away my gaze. "I know you're confused. We all were."

 "What are you talking about?! Who do you think you are? You don't know anything about me." I yell at him.

  "I'll explain everything. First, let me say this, and I know it may be a bit hard to grasp, but.... you're dead."

"You're dead." 

His news echo in my head.

 What?

"You're dead."

I can't be- This can't be.

"You're dead."

It...

 "This is the afterlife."

His words make me resurface.

 "You're crazy. A- a-a lunatic. Whatever kind of... Prank you're pulling, it's not funny. So stop." I frown.

 "I'm afraid I'm not joking in any way. But I know you're lost. You weren't happy with your life. That's why you're here."

This kid's good. How does he...

 "You're wrong," My volume lowers. “...You’re wrong. I was happy." I lie.

 "Man, you're just like Yuri," he chuckles quietly.

  "Huh? Who's Yuri?" I tilt my head at him.

  "I'll explain everything later. Just come with me."

  I nod tentatively. We finish getting my books up off the floor, which is surprisingly spotless, and he brings me to a room with a bunch of tables and a desk in the front.