Chapter 11

Chapter 11

New base

That morning, I left to the town. I couldn't bear being in the palace, it was too familiar. I understood where I was going.

My arms were covered, I couldn't bear looking at my bandaged wrists and arm. In town, less people were outside and only the necessary shops were open, food, clothing, trading mart and of course, a bar. People hustled around, hurrying like crazy. Women dragged their children close behind and men held their wives hands, leading them through the chaos.

The shutters were closed and doors were locked. I sighed, this is bad. This whole war, this chaos and fear. It was unbearable. My mind raced around what would happen. Would the security let their guard down again and more than just the palace would be destroyed.

Back at the castle, we called for another meeting. This time, it was larger. More people. People I recognized from the award ceremony. Others that I had never seen before. The kind sat next to the general, Zachary and Sam were to my side. James sat next to Zachary.

"The next battle will be soon, hopefully not anywhere near citizens. It's uncertain where they will next strike." The general rambled on, I could barely keep up. But I kept in mind things like aswang, Andrew's little speech and the boarders.

For a while, I didn't know where mind was. I looked up and the general when he mentioned our names. Not all of our names. "Harrison, Huffman, and Fishmen, you're base one. We'll need you. I had to remind myself that Huffman was Zachary's last name. Fishmen must've been Sam.

James. He wasn't included. "James, you'll be here, under the best protection." Of course. I heard him, James was the next and only heir. If he died, there was a chance the kingdom could become an anarchy. I locked eye contact with the general. Last time, the castle was destroyed, this wasn't safe either.

Why would they keep the royal family here for protection when it is as obvious as a person in freshly fallen snow. The answer was, they wouldn't. There was somewhere else that they would need to take them. Somewhere nearly completely isolated. But where?

I didn't argue with my placement. We were given one day to pack and go. We were getting separated, first Anne, my family, now James. It would only be two more before I'm completely alone. Alone isn't always a good thing in combat.

I knocked on James' door, goodbyes were not my qualities, but it was needed. My knuckles clacked against the wood. He opened up and a smile spread across his jaw. James opened the door enough for me to enter, I sat down on his bed and he sat next to me.

"I guess I'll see you whenever the next battle is over," I said.

He nodded, "I guess so..."

"Do you know where they will be taking you and your family?" I asked.

James looked at me, "I don't know, it's scary, not knowing."

"This will not be the time of my life," I said.

"About what you said earlier, do you trust me?" James said, as he said it, I felt my stomach heat up, like a fire was roasting the bottom.

"I do," I say. my stomach boiled more, that can't be it. "All the things that would've been useful to know, you already know." He's kept a lot from me. Andrew was a big one.

"Sorry," he said, "all of this isn't easy on me either." I hadn't realized how difficult it's been on him either. He was moving some place "safe," his fiancé was a fake, only trying to win queen, and he'd suffered too when Anne, well, happened.

"Are you sure that you should go to this safe place?" I asked. I was very skeptical about it. This is one place, and everyone will be fighting outside. The general kept it secret about where it was, making me even more suspicious. Maybe for security purposes.

I small part of me was jealous that he got to sit back, it was in a way, cowardly.

"I really, really, don't want to go. I want to fight out there." He gestured out the window, behind us.

For a moment we were silent, the only sound was out breathing. Then he spoke up, "I'm going to miss you." I noticed he didn't say Zachary.

"I'll miss you too." I said, our eyes meet and lock. His stunning green, sparkle when the slightest light reaches them, I'd always described them as emeralds. I pushed my bangs out of my eyes. Before I knew it, James' hand was on my chin. I panicked for only a second and leaned in. Our lips met and my heart melted.

I ignored my feelings for him except comfort. I'd grown numb to most feelings like compassion until Anne's death. When she died, it felt like my heart had been ripped out and bruised, then put back in my chest sloppily. Then the only thing I could feel was emotions.

This, right now, was real. I was alive, I was alright. James was fine. Slowly, we pulled away and I pulled myself into his arms. His warm chest against my cheek. After everything we've been through together, it was good to be together.

"I love you," He said into my ear.

"I love you, too." I said, his arms draped around my shoulders.

I woke up and automatically wish I hadn't. Today, everything would be different. Why am I even doing this? I knew the answer, for my home and my family. All my friends were fighting in the war. This was because we destroyed Ekidna, because I needed to destroy that monster to free the kingdom form Dolf's grasp. Now we were experiencing battles, war, death. Was I really going to fight?

Was is a good idea for me? Stop being selfish, I need to do this. For the kingdom...