Chapter 1 - Making Plans

"Bloody hell." I sighed and rested my head on my desk; the cold pages of my Theory and Criticism book pressing into my cheeks.   

I had an essay that was due in tomorrow, and I had been putting it off for weeks. I just didn't understand it. One of my modules was proving to be quite a challenge and it didn't help that I was always late to the lectures, because I had another lecture that finished at the same time as this one began.

I breathed in deeply and tried to remain calm.

I'm studying Comparative Literature and Film Studies at Kings Collage, in London. Despite the challenging modules and endless amount of reading and writing, I loved it.

I've always wanted to work and live in London when I'm older, and being at University is a step closer to my dream. I'm in my second year, and yes, I'm enjoying student life, but no I'm not enjoying waking up early for lectures at 9:00, especially if I have been out the previous night until the early hours of the morning. But hey, that's student life.

A knock sounded on my bedroom door, relieving me from my worries momentarily.

"Come in." I sighed and slowly lifted my head up from the desk, before rearranging my books and papers which were now sprawled everywhere.

I heard the door open and close and then felt the familiar warm embrace of my boyfriend's arms around my waist.

"Hello beautiful." He whispered in my ear, his breath tingling against my ear.

"What are you doing here?" I smiled as he kissed my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"Is wanting to see my gorgeous girlfriend not good enough?"

I rolled my eyes and stood up from my chair, breaking his embrace.

"It's not that I wouldn't enjoy your company, but I really need to finish this essay which is due in tomorrow." I said and turned around to face him.

"Oh..." His smile dropped.

"I'm sorry. I would really love to spend time with you, you know I would." I said and stuck out my bottom lip.

"I can't be mad at you." He smiled again and kissed my forehead, after tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

"How much more have you got to do?" He questioned me.

"I'm on the last paragraph and then I just have the conclusion. It's taken me all day to manage to string together sentences which are just full of complete bullshit." I sighed.

"I'm sure it's not bullshit. I wouldn't be able to write what you write." He reassured me.

"Yeah, because it's so shit."

"I'm never going to win this battle am I?" He questioned, after a short pause.

"Nope." I grinned.

"Do you think you will be able to finish the essay by tonight?"

"Maybe...why?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I want to take you out to dinner. I'll come and pick you up at around 7:30?"

"Sounds perfect." I nodded, and he tenderly kissed me on the lips before exiting my room.

My smile stretched from ear to ear as I sat back down on my chair and carried on with the essay.

I had around two hours to finish it, have a shower and get ready for the date.

I frantically scribbled down the last part of my essay and managed to finish it in about 15 minutes, which meant I had 1 hour and 45 minutes to get ready.

I cleared away my books, paper and writing equipment, packing them up into my shoulder bag which I always took to my lectures.

I took off my glasses and brushed out my hair from the plait it was just in, before undressing from my leggings, plain top and maroon cardigan and hopping into the shower.

My bedroom is one out of two bedrooms that has an ensuite, and I honestly don't know what I would do without it.

I'm living in a fairly small house with four friends; Poppy, Molly, Robbie and Duncan. Molly also does Comparative Literature and Film Studies, Poppy and Robbie study History and Duncan studies Theology.

It's great living in a house with friends, and luckily my bedroom is at the back of the house, so I don't get woken up when people come into the house, loud and drunk, in the early hours of the morning.

I rinsed out the shampoo and conditioner that I had lathered onto hair and applied my sweet smelling shower gel onto my skin.

I turned off the hot shower and dried myself with a towel before walking back out into my bedroom. I went over to my wardrobe and scanned the clothes for something to wear. I went through various outfits before choosing a simple aquamarine dress and a white cardigan, alongside my black heels.

I took out the pieces of clothing from my wardrobe, my hair dripping all over my floor, and laid them out on my bed. Next, I selected some sapphire coloured earrings and my silver, elephant necklace as well as some pretty bracelets to accessorise.

Satisfied with my choices, I plugged in my hairdryer and began to dry my hair which was sopping wet.

It always took me ages to dry my hair so I sat on the floor in my towel and hummed The Arctic Monkeys to pass the time.

When my hair was dry enough for me to cope with, I got up off the floor and got changed into my clothes.

The next thing to do was to put on some make up and do my hair. I applied a light layer of foundation and some subtle blusher as well as some eyeliner and mascara. I styled my hair simply into a fish tail plait and finally put on my accessories after putting in my contacts.

I examined myself in my mirror, that was hung up on my wall, and, happy with my appearance, picked up my phone.

It was 7:20, and I smiled to myself at my surprising punctuality. I clicked on my notifications and saw that I had two new messages.

"Hey Emily. How are you? We haven't spoken in ages. Please ring sometime-I have so much to tell you. Much love. Sophie xxxx"

"Hi Emily. How is the essay writing going? Hope it's not too dull ;) Speak soon. Martha xx"

I responded to Sophie's text quickly and then Martha's, before locking it and putting it into my small leather bag.

As I went over to the mirror again to check my appearance, a knock sounded on the door.

I grinned with excitement as I skipped over to the door and opened it to reveal my boyfriend, Ed, leaning against the doorframe with a bunch of flowers in his hands.