“I know you were uncomfortable when I left because when I came back, you were different,” she said. 

“Oh, Alex, you’re apologizing,” Jesse said.

“Of course I am. We were having such a good time and I had to go and ruin it,” Alex said.

Jesse reached for her hand over the table. “You have nothing to be sorry for,” she said. 

“All I know is that before I left, we were having a great time and I made a mistake in leaving,” Alex said.

“But someone had to go after Kim and you were right, it was better you than anyone else,” Jesse said.

“So you forgive me?” Alex asked.

Jesse smiled and nodded. 

“So I was wondering if you’d like to out on a date with me. This time, no friends will be around. It’ll be just you and me in a cozy little romantic restaurant where we can have great food and pleasant conversation,” Alex said.

“I’d love that,” Jesse said.

Alex looked at the twin sparks in her eyes and a warm glow went through her. Maybe she had moved things way too fast and should have gotten to know Jesse first on a personal basis before letting her meet her friends. Not that it was a problem, but if it intimidated Jesse then she’d have to hold back on doing that for a while.

She could feel it in her marrow. This woman was going to change her life. She didn’t know how or in what manner but it was evident, it was going to happen and Alex could not wait. They would have something special together.

After breakfast, Jesse left and Alex went to see Max. 

Max lived in a one bedroom house, which was an extension of a bigger bungalow. She’d been there for three and a half years. Alex wasn’t used to knocking her door since it was practically home, so she just walked in when she noticed the door was unlocked.

Max was a neat and tidy person so her house was always clean. She walked out of her bedroom wearing a pair of shorts and a vest and stopped when she saw Alex. A moment later, the woman she’d been with the night before emerged from behind her.

“Alex, what are you doing here?” Max asked.

“What? I can’t come see my sister? Hi Joss,” she said.

“Of course you can, just that I didn’t expect to see you so early,” Max said.

“You want me to leave so that you can continue with your business?” she teased.

“No, it’s done, want a cup of coffee?”

“No, I just had breakfast with Jesse.”

“Oh, Jesse, did you two talk?” Max asked. 

She went to the kitchen and started making coffee, while Joss sat down on the couch and turned on the television. She was a lovely woman, with long lean legs, long locks of dark hair and big blue beautiful eyes. She was the type of woman Max always went for and for some reason, they could never resist Max.

“Yeah, we have a date tonight.”

“Have you talked to Billy?” Max asked.

Alex sat on the seat beside the kitchen counter separating the sitting room from the kitchen and shook her head. “No, I went straight home last night after I took Jesse to her place. Is something wrong?”

Max went quiet for a minute and then shook her head. “Uh, no, I just thought she’d speak to you.” 

“About what?”

She was acting strange and Alex did not know why. 

“You know, after you went to get Kim, I thought you’d talk to her or something, try to help them solve the issues between them,” Max said.

“Babe, can you make me some toast?” Joss asked from the couch.

Max nodded, then turned her attention back to Alex.

“What’s going on?” Alex asked.

“Nothing, nothing.” Max turned away and retrieved some bread from one of the shelves. “So you two have a date tonight, huh?”

“Yes, I think I have been thrusting her upon my friends too much so we’re going on a one on one date.”

“Are you sure you want to do that? What if you like her and come to realize she’s not who you thought she was?” 

“Well, I still don’t really know who she is and the only way to do so is to go out with her.”

“Why don’t you take your time? Don’t move too fast. She may disappoint you.”

Max’s back was still facing Alex so she could not see her face. “Max, am I missing something? I thought you liked Jesse,” she said.

“I did, I mean I do, she’s a nice girl.”

“But?” 

Max turned to face her and turned off the coffee maker. She poured it into two mugs and then removed the slices of bread from the toaster. “I don’t think she’s good enough for you,” she said.

“Where is all this coming from? The first time you met her you wanted her. Now all over sudden she’s not good enough for me? Max, what is going on?”

Alex waited for an answer, but she did not get one. Max took Joss’ breakfast to the table and before they could resume with the conversation, Billy walked in. Alex wasn’t sure, but she could have sworn she saw Billy and Max exchange a look.

“Hey Billy,” she said and gave her a light hug.

“Hey, you’re here early, is everything okay?” Billy asked.

“I don’t know, Max?” Alex said.

Max looked from one to the other, then her gaze rested on Alex. “Everything is fine,” she said.

“Max, could I talk to you for a sec?” Billy asked.

Alex sat down beside Joss and a second later, both Max and Billy disappeared to the bedroom. 

“I admire how close you guys are to each other,” Joss said.

“Its not always easy but honesty plays a great role in it,” Alex said.

She wondered what they were discussing that she could not be a part of, but knew it was just a matter of time until she found out.

**

**