Chapter 3

After Sarah had left, I forced myself to walk up to Harry and tell him that he was welcomed to stay for a week or so if he really was that adamant about seeing Josh again. Thinking back on how it ended between us, I noticed that his friendship with Josh didn't end badly, it just sort of fizzled out. The band quickly fell apart, calls slowly stopped being returned and within a month they had gradually stopped hanging out completely.

I guess it was only natural as time passed that they missed each other. I knew I had old friends back home that I would love to see but I would enver be able to take myself back there even if my biggest regret was now standing in my living room.

When he first showed up a few hours ago, of course I was shocked. I could barely speak or look at him but just in that short time, I actually found it kind of easy to look at him and be near him. I guess it was because I was the only one who actually seemed to focus on the past. He had moved on, clearly, and my presense didn't seem to bring back any memories what so ever.

"Bathroon, laundary room, my room, kitchen and the other room for you." I leaned casually against the wall oposite of Gracie and Harry who were making the round around the house; Gracie tugging him by the hand showing him every room one by one until they finally arrived at the guest room.

Peeking into the room, Harry looked around quickly and nodded his head in approval. "This will do."

I scoffed at his comment. He sure had changed. It was clear he now had a big head and a bigger ego. "It's either that or the doghouse."

Ignoring me, he looked down at Gracie. "Is your mom always this uptight?"

Gracie's faces scrunched up as she took in his words, not fully understand what Harry meant. "Well...she wears tight shirt's alot."

"I can see that." Harry laughed, looking up from Gracie to glance at my tank top.

"Gracie! Bed. Now." Trying to be sly under both their stares, I crossed my arms across my chest in hopes of hiding my shirt from their view. 

I was surely going to have a talk with Sarah about the things she teaches my daughter. 

Gracie glared me at and it was obvious I wasn't her favorite person at the moment but I honestly didn't care. The only thing I cared about was Josh getting home tomorrow so I wouldn't be stuck in this house with a twenty-two year old man who acted five and a three year old girl who acted thirty. "Gracie. Bed. Now." Her soft words mocked mine; the usual thing she did when she was forced to do something she didn't want to do.

There was no goodnight hug or anything, She just simply wiggled her way into her room; arms flinging dramatically as she pushed all her weight against the door, slamming it.

An awkward silence filled the air now as Harry and I stood in the small hallway together.

"Great kid. I'm loving the personality."

I just shook my head at him and turned on my heels, walking toward my room. "Josh will be home tomorrow. Extra pillows are in the closet. Sleep well." Those were my last words to him as I stepped into my room that was right across from his and shut the door.

I lie in my empty bed that night with my thoughts filled with Harry. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I couldn't get myself to believe that the young man I was once completly head over heels in love with was sleeping only feet away in the next room; in the house that I shared with my daughter and husband.

The thoughts followed my into my sleep as I finally told myself I couldn't stay awake any longer.

The next morning, I woke up at my usual time; six. Gracie usually woke up around the same time as I did. I slowly made my way into the kitchen to make some well needed coffee. It was the only thing I could trust in the mornings to wake myself up.