Chapter 1

"Tanyaaaa! Who is your prom date?", asked my best friend, Kate, leaning over her food. I didn't answer her so, she rolled her eyes. My other friends saw her reaction, and burst out laughing. I looked up from my food, with a glare, so they shut up. I smiled. At least they knew when to stop, I'm pretty sure it's because they've experienced what I'm like, when I am angry. Then they started talking about their dates. I ignored them, and they didn't ask me to join their conversation which was just fine with me. Wise of them, I don't like it when people intrude my love life. Then I heard Cara call Kean from the other side of the cafeteria, "Kean! Come over here". I looked up and she smiled innocently at me. I scowled at her then looked up to the sound of the sound of approaching footsteps. I saw Kean, then looked down at my food. Then I looked up, because I heard his deep voice, "What is it, Cara?", he asked. Then Cara said, "Is it true, you haven't asked anyone to prom yet?". Oh no. She isn't having this conversation right now, in front of Kean. But she was. Too bad. "No, I haven't. Why do you ask?", he said. I wanted to look up, so I did. Wrong move, I saw him staring at me with a poker face, only, I was also really good at lying. He probably didn't know that though. In his eyes, I could see the curiosity, which surprised me. I quickly put a poker face on, before anyone caught me.  

***

  When I got to the cafeteria, after class, someone called my name. I turned my face toward the sound and saw Cara looking at me, and waving. Cara was my classmate in history. ... and one of Tanya's best friends. I was curious, so I walked toward their table, and asked, "What is it Cara?". When she answered me, I was taken aback, she said this, "Is it true, you haven't asked anyone to prom yet?". "No, I haven't. Why do you ask?" I answered her question. Then I noticed Tanya was staring at her food looking deep in thought, then when she looked up, she jumped on her seat. My face flushed, then I pretended to wipe my face with my hand, but I was really just trying to cool down.