Chapter 1: Capture

Start from the beginning

Roland stood up and tilted his head. He doubted they had found everything. He had to conduct a more thorough , intimate search and for this he would have to undress her.

He knelt on her legs, caught her face in his hands, and brought his mouth close to her ear. "The King put me in charge of finding you, lovely Sabine. I know that you were raped and beaten by a band of mercenaries pretending to act on his orders. It wasn't true. They had been sent by Concini. I know that they left you for dead and burnt your castle. Which is why you went on a rampage and swore revenge, and why the King wants to judge you himself. Now, I have to disrobe you to ensure you are not concealing more weapons. I can have these gentlemen do it in front of me, or I can send everyone out and do it myself. Just you and me. I am willing to offer you this because I believe you have suffered enough, and deserve some privacy. But I don't care either way. So choose, my sweet, and do it fast. My time is precious."

His voice was barely a whisper but she heard it loud and clear. Sabine shivered. She didn't want to be touched, neither by him, nor by his henchmen. Yet she did not wish for more humiliation. Besides, he would have to untie her to get her clothes off. He looked strong, yet one man was a challenge she could win, and maybe escape.

Slowly, she nodded. "You alone, please." Those three words crushed her pride, and she lowered her gaze to the floor in shame. She had sworn to herself that she would not beg a man again, and she had relented on her promise.

Roland's hand caressed her sore cheek and lifted her chin. "Do not resist and it will be over fast. No matter what, I won't hurt you, Sabine, you have my word."

He had the soldiers carry her to the blanket by the hearth before sending them to wait outside, with his page and valet. As the door closed, Sabine's heart sank. Here she was, helpless into a male's power, again. Her mind began to spin and her breathing became erratic. She couldn't bear this. She twisted, pulling on her bounds and hurting her shoulders.

"Shh, calm down. Here, drink."

A goblet of fresh water was pressed against her lips and she gulped it nervously.

"I am not a savage, I don't force women. For me to take you, you will have to ask, prettily."

She nearly choked. "Don't flatter yourself , I would never. I doubt any ever did..."

He chortled. "You would be surprised, my dear. This, however, isn't the point. I need to strip you. Are you ready?"

She glared at him. Of course she wasn't. What choice did she have? Giving him a curt nod, she braced herself.

She was dressed as a man. It was comfortable and didn't catch on twigs when she rode through the forest. Her leather doublet was already open and he simply slid it over her shoulders and down her arms, leaving it hanging off her wrists. He squeezed and creased every inch of it and found nothing. He did the same with her breeches, turning them over her ankles. Up to then he had not touched her, and she was grateful, but neither did he free her limbs. She was going to end up naked and bound, totally at his mercy, and it terrified her.

Next he grabbed the hem of her chemise. Going at a snail's pace, he dragged it from the middle of her creamy thighs up to her chest, his knuckles ever so slightly grazing her skin, and paused at her chest band while she released the breath she was holding.

"Remember, I won't force you and I won't hurt you. May I pursue?"

She blinked, too anxious to speak.

He rolled the fabric higher and drew it over her head, letting if pool over her doublet. Again, he examined it.

Sabine was so tense she thought she would snap. She was left in the layer of cloth wrapping her breasts and her underpants.

"Keep your eyes on me, don't close them." Roland wanted her to be fully aware of her surroundings, so that she wouldn't lose her mind to panic. He picked the sharpest of her discarded knives and wiggled the blade under the bandage. "Do not move." The steel made short work of the fabric. He peeled it away, revealing two exquisite plump mounds and a tiny dagger.

Roland was torn between the need to laugh at the amount of weaponry she had been carrying and the desire to massage the ugly red marks away from her perfection. "Tsk, tsk, beautiful Sabine. I was reluctant to conduct an internal probe, yet you are leaving me no choice, aren't you?"

Her eyes widened in horror. "You said you wouldn't force me!"

"And I won't, fear not. I will use my fingers, and I swear I will make it quick."

He undid the tie of her underwear and brought it down before she could overcome the shock.

"No!" Unable to endure any more, Sabine coiled her knees to her chest and kicked him with all her might, knocking the wind out of him.