Chapter 3: Unremembered

• Dedicated to Celina Togonon

A/N: Yes, finally! It's 12:26am and I'm finally done. Here it is! I'm sorry for the long wait guys. I've been really busy for a while. But anyway, I tried to finish this chapter as soon as possible. I hope you like it! And if you do, don't forget to comment and vote! Thank you! :)

~And may the odds be ever in your favor. xxx CasterAngel.

________________________________________________________________________

Arousing from the most profound of slumbers,

We break the gossamer web of some dream.

Yet in a second afterward, (so frail may that web have been)

We remember not that we have dreamed.

-from “The Pit and the Pendulum”, Edgar Allan Poe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Blinding streaks of sunlight streaming between the branches woke me up to a start. Sitting up, I found myself under the shade of a huge old tree, surrounded by dried dead leaves. It was weird – I was in the woods, though I couldn’t remember going into one. I pushed myself up and started walking, going to who-knows-where. I was in no way familiar of the place, let alone the way around it. How did I even end up here? What, I just decided it was a good day to treasure hunt in the woods, then got lost, and fell asleep? Yeah, right.

                I wandered aimlessly, placing one foot in front of the other, not knowing exactly where I was taking myself, but going to an unknown direction anyway. It was almost as if I knew where to go, but didn’t know how to get there. It was complicated, difficult to explain, like it wasn’t real at all.

                 “Hello?” I called out, hoping for a response, but getting none. Not a soul was in these woods, not even birds or wild bears. I almost wished a wild bear on its hind legs would come out from behind a tree and attack me just to reassure myself that I wasn’t alone and lost. Well, that would be just fooling myself and false hope wasn’t what I needed right now.

                I needed direction.

                A way.

                To go back.

                I continued walking, walking, walking through dried leaves, rocks, and dirt until my feet hurt. It was like the rough and sharp edges of rocks were digging into the soles of my feet. I could literally feel it. I looked down and realized I was, in fact, barefoot. Just peachy, I thought.

                Thinking that I should probably stop whining and instead start to actually come up with a plan, I scanned the ground for a big, sharp rock that looked like I could actually knock someone out with it – though that’s not the real purpose for it. A few minutes later, I figured that these woods were filled with different kinds of rocks – lots of round ones of all sizes, there were sharp ones too, but ridiculously small and there were those that have unusual shapes and color, warped by time and dirt.

                After a while of looking around, I finally found the one – not that big but sharp enough to cut through wood. I picked it up, moved toward the nearest tree, and started carving a huge X on its trunk, deepening the mark over and over again so that it would be easily recognized. I moved to another tree and did the same thing, then to another, and another...

                That was the biggest plan I had, and after marking five Xs on five trunks, I actually felt satisfied. That should be enough for me to know if I’d passed this way again.