Christening Fun Bonus Chapter

Start from the beginning

Megan pointed at her chest. "Baby."

I left the gown soaking for a few minutes and made my way over to Megan, kneeling so we were at eye level. I pointed at my chest and said, "Mummy," and then moved my fingers to tickle her chest and echoed, "Megan."

Megan's denim blue eyes glittered with mischief. "Baby."

I couldn't help but laugh with her as she moved her chubby legs up and down, squeaking with delight. "There's your beautiful smile. Are you laughing?"

Megan rocked back and forth in the high chair, pointing at the ground. "Down."

I used the wooden floor as my lever to get up, hearing my knees crack when I strained my joints. Some days I felt older than a woman in her early thirties. Megan made grabbing hands at me when I picked her out of the high chair and blew a raspberry on her cheek, knowing it would prolong her laughter.

Megan pointed down at the floor. "Down."

I dug my fingers into her sides and tickled her senseless. "Who's a bossy little miss? Can't mummy have her cuddles anymore?"

Megan was eighteen months now and acted like little miss independent. As much as I loved to watch her blossoming into her own person, it saddened me to think she wouldn't need me as much.

Megan moved around in my arms, trying to get away from my tickling, but I wouldn't let her. "Tickle. Tickle. Tickle."

"Mama," she said when I stopped, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Down."

I let her slide down my body and watched her waddle over to her teddy box. "You play for a second while mummy fixes George's gown."

Megan ignored me, already having a conversation with Mrs Bear.

I couldn't deal with the cuteness.

I rinsed the material under the cold tap, celebrating that all of the stains had disappeared. I beat all of the water out and then put it in the tumble dryer on a higher setting to get it dry quickly.

By the time the gown was dry, Joshua had appeared with a twin in either arm, his dress shirt sleeves up past his elbows and a harrowed look in his eyes. "All they've done is hit me."

I snorted when Leo's fists came flailing out, catching Joshua's nose. "You see? Is it beat up daddy day or something?"

After watching his brother beat up Joshua, George decided to have a go by slapping his hand on Joshua's cheek. "Gah! Bah!"

"It's a sign of affection," I replied, taking a now clean George from my husband's arms, allowing Joshua to give me a quick kiss before pulling away.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," Joshua murmured, his eyes hot on mine.

I went shy for a second, taking in how handsome he looked in his black-rimmed eyeglasses. "Back at you, stud."

"Stud?" he cracked up, showing me his dimples.

My mind drifted back to last night and how he caught me off guard downstairs while we were watching a film, by switching off the lights and making love to me well into the credits. It was a night to remember.

"Yeah," I wiggled my eyebrows up and down. "Stud."

"I'll take it," he lifted his free hand prancing around the kitchen like a lion. "We best get a wriggle on. We can't be late for our kid's christening."

I managed to dress George in no time, letting Joshua put the twins in the car while I made sure Megan was ready for her big day. We decided to get all three of them christened at the same time as it seemed special to us, and something happy to look at in the future.