Chapter Five

I threw my bags in the boot of Markus's car and made my way nervously to the driver's side. It was just after five o'clock in the morning, meaning there wasn't a soul out, and the roads were empty apart from the odd car.

My belly flip-flopped when my body sank into the padding of the seat, trying not to dwell on the fact that this was only the fourth time I had driven a car. In fact, the more I thought about it, the harder it became not to talk myself out of being in this car at all.

"Start her up," Markus said patiently from the car seat beside me. "No time like the present."

I did as he asked and shifted the gear into first. "I can do this."

Markus clapped his hands together and cheered. "Sure you can."

"Yeah," I lifted my foot from the clutch at a snail's pace. "I'm doing it," I pulled out onto the road. "I'm doing it!"

"Yes, you are. Come on, Tabby. Keep going," cheered my friend.

We came to the busy junction that led to the dual-carriageway. "Oh, no. I've forgotten what to do."

"Keep calm and check both ways before driving straight ahead," Markus replied, seeming to have every faith in me.

I gripped the steering wheel with sweaty hands. "There's no one coming."

"Great, so go for it."

"I can't."

"What? Why?"

I gulped. "Because, I'm scared and don't enjoy driving on dual carriageways."

His chuckle was soft, if not a little disbelieving. "Honey, we've only a mile and a half to go before we get to the library."

I took in a breath of air before closing my eyes to lift my foot from the brake. "Okay, I'm going to be brave."

"Shitting hell, Tabitha. Open your eyes!" Markus barked.

"See!" I wailed, finding it impossible to calm my nerves. "I'm not good enough to be on the road."

"Sod this," Markus undid his seatbelt and opened the car door, shouting at the car behind us to wait as he ripped open my side of the car door. "I'll drive us there."

...

I apologised for the sixth time today, placing a Costa coffee cup in front of Markus, feeling embarrassed for my lousy driving skills.
"I feel awful."

Markus smiled and took the foam cup in his hand. "You need to stop apologising now. It's not as bad as you're making out. You just need more practice on the basics."

I nodded.

"So," he said, taking a sip to close his eyes in pleasure of the taste of his gingerbread latte."Any messages from that hot soldier man of yours?"

"Joshua, you mean?" I replied, fighting the smile pushing its way onto my face.

I watched his eyes dance as his head nodded up and down. "Yes, him."

I picked up my mobile phone to see the missed call and messages from Matt, but none from Josh. After flicking over the messages, I saw Matt wanted to arrange for me to come over to his house after work as his parents left earlier than planned, but I was video chatting with Megan, and secretly wished for Joshua to cook us dinner again.

"Nope, he doesn't seem much of a texter," I replied, looking through the library cards that were late on payments.

"Why did he leave the army?" Comes from Markus as he organised some books on the shelf nearest to the front desk.