Festive Bonus Chapter

"Tabby," Joshua called through to the kitchen, excitement in his tone. "Come through here. Quick."

I placed the pan lid on the bubbling pot, the sounds mixing in with the hum of Christmas songs on the radio. "Coming. One second."

I could hear Joshua's chuckle and then his shout: "You'll miss it if you don't come now!"

Turning down the hob, I pulled at my Christmas pudding hat, not wanting it to fall off or mess my hair anymore than it already had and head off into the living room.

"Good girl, Megs," Joshua said, crouched down on all fours, gazing at our little girl with the silliest smile. "Come on, angel."

I followed over to them on the floor, falling in love with the outfit Megan had on all over again. Goodness she looked adorable in her red Christmas angel baby grow that had white glittering wings sewn on the back. It was hard for me not to ruin their moment by picking her up and squeezing the life out of her, but I refrained loving to watch Joshua in daddy mode just as much.

"What's going on?"

Joshua combed his fingers through her jet black hair, letting them linger near the tiny curls. "I swear she almost rolled over. It was magical. One minute she's giggling at me and then the next pulling herself onto her side, ready to flip over."

My whole body buzzed with maternal pride as I gazed down at my beautiful baby girl wondering why she was growing up so fast. Megan was hitting her milestones way too quickly, making me feel more than ready for baby number two.

"Who's our clever girl?" I said, in my best childlike voice, taking Megan's arm to blow gentle raspberries on the skin. "Megan is!"

The babble she shouted out caused both Joshua and me to burst into laughter, resulting in her doing the same. "Bah! Gah! Bah! Nah!"

"Who's daddy's best girl?" Joshua ruffled her tummy.

Megan bounced her legs up and down, her eyes never leaving Joshua's with a gummy smile. I melted on the spot, tugging on my apron to try and cool down. These two were my life.

"I can't believe it's her first Christmas," Joshua said, sliding his hands underneath her bottom, making sure his palm cupped her head before bringing her up to face him. "Santa's sure spoilt you this year, little miss."

I leaned into his side, gazing down at our perfection with an almost giddy laugh. "I can't wait to see how she reacts to it all."

Joshua kissed the side of my head. "I'm half expecting for her to fall asleep three presents in. There's only so many teddies a baby needs, sweetheart."

It was true. We'd gone way overboard on the Christmas present buying, purchasing whatever we could find. It was exciting.

"You're as bad," I put my head against his and smiled.

Megan began to whine as Joshua stood up, holding his hand out for me to do the same. We walked back through to the kitchen where I proceeded to check on the turkey while Joshua warmed a bottle for the baby.

"I can't believe it's Christmas Eve already. When are your parents getting here?" Joshua said with his lips pressed on Megan's head.

I finished basting the turkey, turning my attention onto the roast potatoes. The bubble and sizzle of the oil making my stomach rumble. "The plan is for them to get in at five o'clock. I've asked the other guests to be here for half-past, but your parents are coming a bit earlier."