Chapter 3 - Patsy's P.O.V

I sat in the gardens of Nonnatus until the early hours of the morning, I smoked cigarette after cigarette, letting the smoke consume my vision and cloud my thoughts. 

 I stood up ready to go inside taking in the last few puffs of my cigarette, when I heard giggling coming up behind the fence. 

"Shhhhh"A voice said, and from the way is slurred I assumed this was the return of Trixie from a late night adventure. 

I smirked, Trixie, I'd missed her. 

"I'll watch the door while you get over the fence" I laughed quietly. I watched the door and heard laughter then a bump as she hit the floor.

"Are you okay?" I laughed turning to face her. I offered her a hand and pulled her up behind me. 

"Good night?" I asked brushing the hair out my face, only to reveal a messy and very drunk looking Delia. She giggled.

"Oh Deels, what have you done to yourself?" I said grabbing her as she stumbled forwards.

And then she threw up.

--

As I tried to lead her up the stairs, she lent on me and gagged.

"Oh no.." I said "Not inside and most definitely not on me!" She giggled and almost fell down the stairs.

"Hold on to me okay? We don't want any accidents" I said and I placed my hand around her waist for support.

I got her up the stairs easier after that and soon she was sat on her bed threatening to be sick again. 

"Please don't be sick again" I begged  and thankfully the gagging stopped. I reached around the back of her to remove her jacket, and then I took her shoes off.

"You smell nice" She whispered, slurring her words and leaning up to kiss me.

"You're drunk" I said stepping back.

"I am not, I have never felt so good" She got up and unable to stand fell forwards into my arms.

"No. You're incredibly drunk." I said moving her hands away from their task of trying to unbutton my dress.

"But..."

"No buts, now lay down"

I guided her into bed, and lay her on her side. "In case your sick again" I smiled.

--

I woke up to the smell of nail varnish. 

"Do you have to do that in here, I'm trying to sleep" I mumbled in my pillow. 

"Well some of us are trying to sleep in the middle of the night sweetie"

"Sorry about that, Delia came home drunk, I couldn't just leave her. Actually at first i though it was you"

"You flatter me Ms Mount" She said blowing on her newly lacquered nails. 

"I better go check on her and make sure she's ok"

"Alright sweetie but don't be late for breakfast"

I crossed the hall and knocked on the door. Delia mumbled something from the other side of the door do I opened it.

"The sisters have made breakfast if you can stomach it"

"I don't think I can" she sat up in bed.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked closing the door behind me.

She shrugged so I continued.

"Did Jacqueline send you home alone last night?"

"To be honest Patience, I don't remember much from last night apart from the continuous flow of drinks"

"I see. It's not my place I know, but I really believe you'd be better off without Jacqueline."

"Patience Mount do I detect jealousy in your tone?"

"It's concern. What if one of the sisters had found you last night instead of me?"

"I can handle myself thank you very much, now you need to go so I can get ready!" Her voice was sharp and so I followed my orders and headed down to breakfast.