[ 57 ] restless heart

Start from the beginning

       When she was done, Jinny opened her eyes and tried to peer into the reflection of her wine. The image was murky, but she saw enough detail to like it. She turned back to Octavia with a grin. "Do I look terrifying now?"

       "I'm shaking in my boots," Octavia laughed. Her face slowly fell when her eyes caught sight of something—or rather someone—in the distance. Jinny blinked and turned around to discover what had caught the girl's attention, only to find that it was Clarke exiting Lexa's tent. She turned back around, with a vehement glare in her eyes, taking another gulp of her wine. "What happened between the two of you this morning?" Octavia asked quietly.

       Jinny shook her head in vexation, anger seeping into her voice. "The better question is: what didn't happen between us? Because there are too many reasons for me to give."

       "Is it about the missile?" Octavia pressed, and Jinny looked at her with an expression that said it all.

       Clarke chose that exact moment to walk forwards, crouching down low in front of them so that her face was lit up by the dancing flames. She glanced uncertainly to Jinny before smiling nervously to Octavia. "Everything okay?" she asked.

       "I don't know, Clarke," Octavia replied. "I've been going over and over it in my head, just trying to figure out how... you're still alive."

       "Did Jinny tell you this?"

       "She didn't have to. I saw you in Tondc before the missile hit. I know you, Clarke, something was wrong. And then you and Lexa disappear, and just happen to survive?" She paused, gazing intently at the blonde opposite her who had averted her gaze to the ground. "Tell me you didn't know it was coming."

       Clarke bit her lip before whispering, "Octavia... I..."

       The glare in the girl's eyes sharpened when her suspicions had been confirmed. "You let all those people die." She stood up heatedly, walking around the campfire towards the other girl. "You were going to let me die. Let Jinny die."

        Clarke got up to stop her, lowering her voice as she spoke. "I did it to save Bellamy. So that we could win this war." Jinny scoffed derisively and she spared her a glance before continuing, "If we had evacuated Tondc, Mount Weather would have known someone tipped us off. They would have found Bellamy, found your brother."

       "No," Octavia said. "Bellamy would have never told you to do that. He would have found another way!"

       "I couldn't take that risk," Clarke told her

       "Right," Octavia sneered. "Because you're in charge now, and you decide who's disposable. You'd have fit right in on the council." She spat the last few words before storming off.

       Clarke turned to Jinny and took a couple of steps forward. "Do you think I wanted to do it? I didn't have a choice. I was doing what I thought was right."