Quiet Beauty of the Night

She walks in beauty, like the night

Of cloudless climes and starry skies;

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes

-written by Lord Byron
•••

Caspian had always adored the night; perhaps it was because it was the only time during his childhood that he had felt like he could be himself. It was the time his nurse had told him fairytales and the professor had told him about Narnia.

When he met Susan, her beauty was like the sun. Bright, up front…blinding. She glowed when the sun struck her. But after the initial shock wore off, he found the sun held no true interest for him.

Lucy, her beauty was the moon. The moon and the night; the cloudless climes and starry skies. She was delicate young woman, but stronger than many of the men he knew. She was fierce in battle but gentle with those she loved. She was opposites that managed to balance her- all the best of the dark and bright met in her eyes.

Caspian had seen Lucy in the moonlight when they had sailed on the Dawn Treader. The first time he had seen her above deck in the night, he had been struck breathless. At that moment he realized that any could glow in the sun- but not everyone could glow in the moon.

When she saw him, she smiled. That smiled made everything around her pale, including the moon. Oh Aslan, she was beautiful. More beautiful that the night he that had always adored.

From that night on, whenever he dreamt, it was of her. Her walking in the quiet beauty she had about her, bathed in moonlight with the very stars twinkling in her eyes.