Do Right

Enjoy another looong chapter!

~

Clover had waited outside. Here auburn eyes lit up again as soon as they landed on Junior. It breathed life into him; he never knew he could have that effect on someone. Once he was face to face with her, he desperately attempted to choke back what he was about to say.

"What's wrong?" She looked worried; her hands naturally caressed his face. She was there for him, letting her presence be evident. "I know something's wrong Junior. Tell me what it is..."

Junior could hear her but she seemed to be talking from behind a muffling screen. He wanted to listen but he wanted even more to just look at her, one last time.

"...I knew something was wrong when you didn't answer my letters. At first I thought you didn't get them...But what I have to tell you, I couldn't write down. I had to come in person. But...but Junior I can't stay."

His eyes unglazed themselves and he focused once more. "You can't stay," he said rather than asked.

"No, Junior," she said but still she came closer, "but we can work something out, because-"

"Junior, this is taking too long," came Tommy's voice from the doorway. He had followed him out. Junior's posture grew rigid and straightened like a soldier's. He suddenly remembered why he had come. He risked a glance at his father before speaking.

"Clover," he said, his mouth immediately drying up. "We can't be together."

There. It was over with. He had said it. He had done his father's bidding and sold his soul. If only the look in her eyes wasn't so painful to behold.

"Junior...don't," her eyes grew glossy.

"Clover, I mean it. Don't make this harder than it has to be." He was really selling the part. His father should be proud.

"Junior, this isn't you," she shook her head. "I know it's been two months but this isn't you. If only you'd read my letters you would know that I never left you. I'm still here for you-"

"No, Clover. I...I don't want you," he set his teeth, locking up emotion. "Get that into your head. I don't want you and I didn't read any of your...your f-fucking letters." He rushed to walk away before he broke character but she caught him with her voice.

"Don't you walk away, Junior. What? Is it because of him?" She looked at his dad. "Is it you?" She now spoke directly to Tommy. Coming up to him, she shoved him, pushing his chest. "What the hell did you do to him? You we're supposed to protect him, you bastard." She shoved Tommy again but Junior pulled her away. Tommy remained like a stone, watching the scene play out.

Clover's eyes were locked onto Tommy's and they were filled with despise. "What did you do to him?" She screamed and struggled past Junior's grip. She was desperate but thankful that Junior was at least holding her again.

"Clover, I need you to go," he said.

She stilled, locking eyes with the man she loved.

"Are you serious?" She spoke but it came out in a whisper. And Junior winced as a single tear fell from her auburn eyes. He nodded.

Clover took a moment to breathe. She looked away. This couldn't be happening.

"Junior, don't do this to me," she finally said.

"I'm sorry," he said. He heard his father stiffen up, but the words had already left his mouth and he meant them with all of his heart. Slowly, he let his hands fall away from her and to his sides. He could feel the heat leave them immediately. Maybe he could get one last kiss, he thought. Maybe his father wouldn't mind...But no, he could see it in Clover's eyes. It was too late. She began to back away from him but stopped herself.