The Prince's Verdict

The Prince's Court
"Tybalt, my nephew, he was my brother's child! O Prince, see how the blood is spilt of my dear kinsman! For blood of ours, shed blood of Montague!" Lady Capulet pleaded to the Prince, whose face was solemn.

"Benvolio, who began this bloody fray?"

"Tybalt, here slain, whom Romeo's hand did slay. Romeo that spoke him fair, bid him think, but nothing could stop the rage of angry Tybalt, whose ears were deaf to peace. With piercing steel at bold Mercutio's breast, Mercutio is near slain. And in his grief, thinking his friend is dead, does blinded Romeo seek to attain revenge. And as nothing could part them, Tybalt was slain, and, as he fell, did Romeo turn and fly. This is the truth, or let Benvolio die.

Capulet's wife spoke up again, gesturing across to Benvolio. "He is a kinsman to the Montagues: affection makes him false; he speaks not true. Some twenty of them count on this black strife, and all those twenty could but kill one life. I beg for justice, which thou, Prince, must give: Romeo slew Tybalt; Romeo must not live!"

The Prince sighed, contemplating a verdict. "Romeo slew Tybalt; Tybalt injured Mercutio. Who is to blame for his fray?"

Lord Montague spoke defensively for his son. "Not Romeo, Prince, he was Mercutio's friend and killed the man who nearly murdered him."

"The same end the law would have exacted." Lady Montague finished her husband's appeal.

The Prince threw up his hands. "And for that offence immediately do we exile him hence." As the Montagues, shocked, opened their mouths to plead, the Prince continued. "I shall be deaf to pleading and excuses. Therefore use none. Let Romeo leave in haste, else, when he is found, that hour will be his last. Bear hence this body, and attend our will. Mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill."

As the members of the feuding families left the court, glaring at each other, Benvolio was lost, his heart drowned in sorrow. He would have to say goodbye to his newly-married cousin, and he didn't know if he'd see him ever again. What really hurt was the fact that Benvolio would have to tell Mercutio.
_____________________________________________________
Bit of a filler, but is works for the whole of the story. Get ready for the Next Chapter...