Chapter 2 Part 4

I had a cell phone, but not a smart phone, so I had to get directions before I left. It seemed simple enough and within twenty minutes, I found myself on the correct street. The houses were huge, multi-million dollar homes. All of them had fences with gates. The one I wanted even had a uniformed officer in a small house. I pulled up to the gate. "Miss, you can't stop here," the man said coming out of the building.

"I.. I have a delivery for Charlie," I said, feeling really stupid. It was probably a prank and Id end up in jail. I imagined me explaining to the officers who would arrest me. Officer, I was supposed to bring breast milk.

Just as I was about to put the car in reverse the guard nodded. "Yes Miss. Please go up the driveway. You can park anywhere in the circle."

I drove up the long drive to the most amazing house I'd ever seen. To just say it was huge wouldn't do it justice. I couldn't believe the size and I wondered how many people lived there and what they did for a living.

After parking my car, which didn't even seem good enough to be in the driveway, I took a deep breath and got out. I had the small insulated bag in my hand as I rang the bell. I'd expected a servant to answer, but it was a woman who looked to be in her early thirties. She was beautiful with caramel colored hair and eyes to match that looked so familiar. She smiled at me warmly and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you so much for coming. I'm Esme. Won't you please come in?"

I nodded and entered the house, trying not to gawk at the elaborate furnishings. She must have noticed my expression. "It's my brother's house. His... uh.. girlfriend has quite elaborate taste." I nodded in response, not even sure what to say. "Anyway, thank you again for coming. I know it seems like an odd request, but we're just not sure what to do."

Again I just nodded dumbly. There was an awkward silence before Esme spoke again. "Is that it?" she asked looking at the black bag I was carrying.

"Yes, it's in a cooler. You, uh, you need to run the bag under warm water to warm it," I explained.

"I remember," Esme said. My confusion must have been evident because she continued, "I'm a mother of two girls, eight and ten. Of course they don't nurse anymore or, well, I'd have offered to nurse Charlie." She paused and a wistful look crossed her face. "Why don't we take care of business. Please come into the study," she said indicating a smaller room off to the left of the grand foyer I'd been standing in.