Feathers To Count ~ II matty's POV

II...Matty's POV

Matty held the letter in his hand. All he could do was stare at the red ink on the front.

"They said they would wait for me," He thought aloud, "They promised." He shook his head in disbelief. Now what were they going to do? He felt as if he was personally responsible for Delilah, and in a way he was. He would have to go search for them against his better judgment. He had to take Delilah though. It would probably be less dangerous if he asked her to dress as a boy. It would arouse less suspicion too.

There wasn't much he could do about his family...Delilah would just have to accept the truth, but how to tell her was another thing. He'd just have to figure it out on the way there. Matty got up from his simple cot and looked around his homely little room. He had few things to gather, but he would ask the cook if she would kindly make him some traveling provisions. Lucinda was the plump little woman who cooked the entire manor's food, but even with all her work she was willing to help people. She would give Matty supplies, especially if he told her it was a family emergency. Matty's family was a mystery to the staff, well, actually to everybody. He liked it that way though...if people knew too much he, and his loved ones would all become like those pathetic creatures you see caged in a zoo.

Matty finished packing his things into a worn knapsack and headed towards the kitchens. He opened the door and peered inside. Lucinda was kneading bread.

"Cookie, do you mind if I can get some traveling provisions?" Matty inquired, "I have to go to my family, it's an emergency and I have to leave as soon as I can; possibly tonight."

"Oh, sure love, I have to leave tonight though so I will leave them on the stoop for ya"

"Thank you, please pack enough to last awhile, it is a long journey."

With that he turned around and went back to the servant's quarters. He would have to wait until he could get a private moment with Delilah to tell her to prepare. She would go out tonight for her evening walk...he would snatch the opportunity then. As he walked towards the manor he felt this peculiar feeling pressing upon his mind. He stopped and looked inside the parlor window. He gasped at what he saw. There was no more delaying their trip...Delilah had to leave immediately. Throwing caution to the wind he raced inside of the house and made his way towards Delilah's room...

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Delilah was in her room staring at the ceiling... she was rather hoping that she wouldn't have to face her grandmother, but she knew that in order to play the perfect angel she had to apologize for her actions this morning. She wasn't really sorry, but it needed to be done. With a sigh she got up and walked to her mirror. She looked at her face and saw that her eyes were puffy from her sleeplessness. Tracing a finger down her chin she wondered what her mother looked like. Her thick black hair tumbled down to her waist as she untied it from the ribbons. Brushing her sleek hair slowly, she thought to herself how plain looking she really was...her only truly beautiful feature was her blazing green eyes. She didn't have fair skin like all the other girls around her. She had more of a look of a gypsy. This often led to rejection among her peers. Well, maybe it was that she'd rather climb trees and throw rocks than play with dolls and tea sets.

Finishing the chore, she pulled her hair up into a French braid and rose to open the door, but before her hand even reached the door knob, Matty burst in, his face a pale, porcelain white.

"What's the matter Matty?"

"I can't explain right now, but we have to leave immediately!" Matty said through a grim set mouth, "get your things together."

Delilah could not help, but wonder why her normally calm friend was so distraught, but she shoved some clothes, a cloak, a brush, and some ribbons into a bag. She also placed a leather-bound book into it for reading...Pride and Prejudice. With a whoosh of air Matty and Delilah raced from the house and across the lawn. With barely a glance they both disappeared into the night as the think blackness swallowed them. Far away sirens could be heard...

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~