Chapter Seven

“And life’s gonna kick you around, and kick you again when you’re down.” -Today is your day (Shania Twain)

“Music class?”

Lily let out a startled gasp as Alaya stomped through the door. Danielle gave her a small wave and bounded down the front porch steps; unaware of the war that was about to go down. Alaya’s backpack hit the hardwood floor with a thud and she firmly planted her hands on her hips. Lily had been waiting anxiously all day for this conversation. She bit her lip and fiddled with a piece of hair that had fallen in her eyes.

Oh there is a God Lily thought, hearing the phone’s merry chime. Lily rushed to the kitchen and brought the speaker to her ear, her back turned to Alaya walking in. Her bare feet padded quietly on the kitchen tile. Lily could see in her mind’s eye, the dark scowl on her niece’s face, her arms still on her hips.

“Hello?”

“Hello. Are you Lily Dranias?” a gruff male voice asked. Alaya had stopped glaring in the direction of Lily’s voice, and had now grabbed a seat on a stool by the bar, waiting expectantly. She forcefully snatched a fruit from its place on the counter.  

“I am,” Lily said wedging the phone between her shoulder and ear. She strode over to the island and took the apple from Alaya’s hand. Lily peeled off an orange sticker that read Violet Ridge Orchards, handed the Granny Smith back to her niece.

“This is Dr. Almeriez. The results of...” Lily heard the shuffling of papers in the background. “Alaya’s, MRI and blood work are ready for you.”

Lily’s forehead creased with worry as she listened, piling dirty dishes into the sink.  “I was wondering if you two had time to come in. I’d like to tell you the results in person.”

Lily’s heart plummeted; something she felt in her gut. If she had learned anything over the course of the past few months, it was that when the doctors wanted you to pay them a visit, it probably wouldn’t be a pleasant one. She dropped a fork into the sink and closed her eyes for a few seconds, breathing deeply.

When Lily opened her eyes, they landed on Alaya who sat munching on her apple; she looked so much like your average teenager would, she looked so much better than she had eight months earlier. A pair of sunglasses sat perched on her head, her face seemed set in a permanent scowl... Her t-shirt didn’t have I’m blind, written across the chest. Lily’s eyes trailed away from Alaya, to the Vision Aid Stick leaning against the wall behind her; Alaya hated using it, and only did when Lily forced her to.

“When would you like us to come in?” Lily asked, returning her attention to the conversation. Lily gnawed on the inside of her cheek, her nervous habit.  

“As soon as possible Ms. Drainias.”

Lily shook her head sadly. “How about tomorrow? Is three thirty okay for you?”

“That’s perfect. Thank you Miss.”  Lily said goodbye, and found herself listening to the dial tone. She hit the red button on her phone, then placed it gingerly back into the charger. Sighing, Lily smoothed hands over her white blouse, flattening non-existent wrinkles.

Alaya looked up at the sound of Lily’s sigh and frowned. “How bad is it?” she asked quietly, placing her half eaten apple on the table. It rolled onto its side and rocked back and forth a few times. Lily cleared her throat and took a moment to make her voice light. “The doctor wants to see us tomorrow. I’ll pick you up after school so we can make it there for around three.”

Alaya nodded and stood up slowly. At first glance, Alaya appeared unaffected by the news- bored even, but Lily could see the stress in the way her white her knuckles gripped the edge of the table. Her hold on the table made the scars on her hands stand out further against her pale skin. “So, pretty bad then.” Lily let out her breath slowly in defeat, leaning all her weight onto the granite countertop. “Yes, pretty bad.”