‘Hi…’ I whimpered, ashamed of my quiet, husky voice. When Alicia spoke, she sung.

‘Listen,’ she commanded. I did just that. ‘I’m sorry about what happened on the courts. I guess I was too pushy. Anyway, I overstepped the line. I’m sorry.’

‘’S okay.’ I murmured, bewildered.

‘Thank you.’ She grinned. ‘I want us to start again, okay?’

Meekly, I nodded. ‘Sure.’

‘Well, it’s my birthday today, and I’m having a party after school, at my place. I managed to chase my parents out, so we’ve got free booze and music and the whole place to ourselves. Everyone’s coming, so I was thinking – since it’s your birthday, too – you should come. More reason to celebrate, huh? So… you in?’

It took a moment to sink in. In my ear, the new Emily shuddered away from the very idea of a party, particularly one where she’d be the centre of attention. But old Emily – the popular, fun Emily – was screaming yes, yes, yes!

‘Okay,’ I decided suddenly. Old Emily cheered. ‘I’m in.’

Alicia grinned - the kind of smile that was ice-cold and perfect, the corners of her plump lips rising gracefully. ‘Good.’

‘Thanks for the invite,’ I announced with a slight giggle, mirroring her with a warm grin. The old Emily – the girl I’d tried to hard to bury forever - began to claw her way out of the depths.

‘No problem,’ she laughed generously. ‘Got anything to wear?’ she asked.

Oops. ‘Oh. Um… not really.’ I bit my lip. I took none of my party dresses or even anything mildly cool-looking with me to Sydney. ‘Sorry.’

‘Don’t be. In fact,’ she started with a twinkle in her eye. ‘You can come over to mine.’

‘What?’ I asked. ‘You want me to go to your house? Like… now?’

‘Yes, I do,’ she said unblinkingly. ‘Would that be okay? You know, with your parents?’

‘Uh…’ I stalled. Knowing Luke and Jillian, they’d be over the moon. They were always pestering me to make friends, invite people over, to out to people’s houses after school like a normal person. ‘Maybe.’

‘Call them,’ she encouraged.

‘I don’t have a phone,’ I lied. It was off in the bottom of my rugged backpack.

‘You can use mine,’ she offered. I vaguely wondered why she wanted me over so badly, but I brushed my suspicions aside. I had a tendency of being paranoid. Anyway, she seemed nice… really nice.

I briefly contemplated telling her I didn’t know my parent’s number, but decided my suspicions were stupid.

‘Okay,’ I decided. ‘Thanks.’

She handed me an expensive-looking touch-screen phone, a keypad on the screen. I tapped in the numbers of Jillian and Luke’s home phone and waited for the ringing.

Luke picked up after three rings. ‘Hello?’

‘Hi,’ I greeted the phone with faux cheer. ‘It’s me.’

Emily?’ He demanded in astonishment. ‘What is it? What’s wrong?’

‘Nothing,’ I muttered, mildly annoyed that he thought something had to be wrong for me to call. ‘I just wanted to ask if I could go to, um, someone’s house after school. That okay?’

‘Oh.’ His tone changed as he realised what I was saying. ‘Ohh. To a friend’s house, you say?’ he paused for a moment, deliberating. ‘Sure. I don’t see why not. When are you going to be home?’

I froze. I wasn’t expecting that. ‘Uhhh…’ I glanced over to Alicia and mouthed, what time?

She grinned. ‘You can stay over, if you like.’

I blinked. ‘Really?’

‘Sure. Why not?’

‘Okay...’ I put my mouth back to the receiver. ‘She said I could stay the night.’

‘Oh.’ Surprise coloured Luke’s voice. ‘Oh. Okay, then. I guess so. Keep your phone on and… I’ll see you tomorrow, I guess.’ Suddenly, his voice lightened up. ‘Have fun, kiddo.’

I felt myself smiling. Almost. ‘Will do.’

‘Bye,’ he sang before he hung up.

‘Bye,’ I repeated numbly. I turned slowly and stared up at Alicia. Suddenly the whisper, the inkling of a promise, of a new life, an opportunity, was too good to refuse. It was a chance to become Emily again, and suddenly the nostalgia for the person I was gripped me hard. I didn’t want to be constantly scared, constantly quiet.

I didn’t want to forget the old Emily.

I didn’t want to forget my father anymore.

I gazed up into Alicia’s sparkling, blue eyes. She smiled.

But her eyes were cold.