Chapter 1

"Boulder! Run!" Ivy yelled from where she was sitting on the branch of a maple tree. Boulder snapped his head around and saw the black-and-white dog running toward him.

Yelping, Boulder took off, the mouse he killed firm in his jaws. He kicked up dust as he fled, but he could smell and hear the dog gaining on him. Boulder did he only thing he could think of to escape.

He jump and twisted in the air. The dog skittered behind him and snapped at the place where Boulder would've been. The dog turned but by then Boulder was half way across the field. His large paws drumming, he put up his last burst of energy and jumped for the branch Ivy was sitting on.

His paws missed it, but Ivy grabbed his scruff. That was hard for the small she-cat, however. She was much smaller than Boulder, but he swung around and scrambled next to her.

The dog caught up with them and stopped underneath the tree, panting. It's eyes glowed with anger as it look up at the cats. But dogs can't climb trees, so Boulder and Ivy were safe.

"What in a million fox hearts were you doing?" Ivy snapped. The only thing that betrayed she wasn't angry was that her eyes were filled with concern. Boulder felt his fur grow hot.

"I...I saw a mouse and I was going to catch it-" Boulder started but Ivy cut him off. "That is no excuse!" She hissed. Boulder was silent. Ivy sighed.

"Im sorry, Boulder. It's just...ever since we lost our home and our owners, I feel like I'll lose everyone." Ivy shook her head and said, "Let's just head back to the others. They'll be concerned by now."

"Oh, stop your sulking!" Boulder teased. He flicked his crush's ear with his tail-tip. "You know you love me," he said, eyes flickering with amusement. Ivy's eyes widened and she pretended to be surprised. "Me? Are you sure?" She teased him back.

Boulder playfully pushed her off the branch. She landed on all fours with a dull thud and she took off. "Hey! Wait for me!" Boulder called, then jumped off the branch and took off after her.

They both laughed and raced each other. The whole time Boulder felt...whole. Like he was free. Like there was nothing to worry about. Nothing. That was not true, but it still felt great to run beside his mate and feel freedom again.

A month ago, his kind, loving Furless owners just suddenly disappeared. This didn't surprised the cats. There were these boxes scattered all around the house. Fawn said they could be going to a new place.

The Furless did not take the cats. This surprised them, and within no time at all a big, smooth, round ball thing hooked on what looked like a chain connected to a monster moved in. With three small blows, the old house that was in the middle of the forest was crumbled.

Another monster came and took the rubble away. But what came with the Furless was all but a dog. It would scare and chase the cats right of its "territory".

Luckily, the cats knew how to hunt. Their mothers had taught them ever since they knew how to walk. If Boulder just closed his eyes and concentrated, he could see his mother...he had the faintest memory of her. Gray with unusually blue eyes.

In that memory, there was another cat. He was huge, and since Boulder was a kit then, the cat seemed almost as tall as the Furless. He was black with smoky gray eyes. But he was a cat, not a Furless.

Boulder shook his head and concentrated on running to Towering Oak. When his mother and his friends' mother disappeared, along with the huge cat and another cat, he and his siblings and friends went to Towering Oak to see if they had gone there. They weren't there.

But they did find a large den in-between the tree's roots. It seemed like a fox den, but the scent was stale. It had soft, cushioning moss in the den. When the cats were driven from their home, they went straight here first.

Boulder was panting, and he stopping underneath Towering Oak. Ivy stood next to him, panting too. There came a load groan. Boulder and Ivy looked at each other before shouldering their way into the den.

Moss sat in her nest, groaning. Next to her sat her mate, Ember. Boulder was concerned for his sister. Her belly was a little round, but not much. She was caring the weight of her and Ember's kits.

Fawn sat next to her, scowling. "Stop groaning!" She snapped. "You're not hurting, and you're not even close to give birth to your kits. And for goodness sake, sit up! You've been laying there for two days now!"

"But my stomach hurts!" Moss complained. "Your stomach does not hurt! And stop exaggerating!" Fawn said. She prodded Moss, and she sat up.

Boulder flicked his tail in a greeting way and went to his own nest in the front. There, he laid and curled up in the soft, cushioning moss. With a low sigh, he slipped into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back again! I wanted to know wut you guys dink of meh book, even dough like one person is reading this O-O ANYWAYS I hope this part was better than the first part. Sorry for the long chapters, but I'm trying to make this as long as it would've been in a chapter book. Have a wonderful kitty-fun day!

                                  ~Buddymykitty~