Chapter 2

"So why don't we just fly to Ontario?" I ask.

     "Flying's way to risky. We'd  never make it to Canada alive thanks to airport security."

     "So it just makes it that much easier for Xander Carlisle to find me."

     "Exactly," he replies. Ten minutes pass in silence when I start sighing and drumming my fingers and shaking my leg. Ashton glances at me a few times. Finally, he turns on the radio. Areosmith is playing. I relax a little. Ashton glances over at me.

     "Are you always this annoying?" I turn my head in his direction and glare at him, only making him smile. 

     "Are you always this boring?" He opens his mouth to defend himself, but I stop him. "And excuse me, but I just found out that some super powerful mutant freak is out to kill me."

     "Uh, we don't know that yet."

     "Ugh! You're not helping!" 

     "Sorry," he says, a smirk on his face. I turn the volume up.

     When I wake, it's darker and we're not moving. I can hear mumbling. I look around and sit up. 

     "Yeah, I got it. Oh, she's awake now....Yeah, we'll be there in about a week....Alright. Bye." He hangs up and puts the phone in his pocket. He looks at me and says, "Hungry?"

     "Starving," I answer. He gets out of the Jeep and walks to the passenger side to open my door. 

     "Where are we?" I ask as I grasp his hand.

     "A diner outside of Bartlesville, Oklahoma."

     "What time is it?" Ashton checks his phone.

     "About 2:40."

     "Geez," I mumble as I rub my tired eyes and walk into the diner.

     As we're eating in our little booth, I realize that this is the first time I've actually noticed what Ashton looks like. My mind has been preoccupied with other things. He's quite tall, maybe a head taller than I am, and kind of lean, but muscular.  He still has dark hair, just like he did when he was shapshifting when I met him. He has bright blue eyes and a sharp jaw and nose. He also has a bit of stubble. Admiting this makes me a little uncomfortable, but he is very attractive. 

     Ashton looks up from his food and asks, "What are you staring at?" He turns his head to see if there is something behind him consuming my attention.

     "Nothing," I say, shaking my head trying to clear it.

     "You know, since I've met you, your eyes have changed color four times."

     "I thought you could sence mutations?"

     "Not those kind of mutations. Only like...powers," he explains.

     "It's just something they do. They change with my mood," I say.

     "Well that explains why your eyes were bright red when I called you annoying," he teases. I try not to look at him because they're probably that color right now.

     "But you know everything else that I can do?" I ask, focusing on my food.

     "I know that you have many mutations based in your mind. You have telepathy and telekinesis. That'll come in handy between you and me." He winks at me. "I can't quite explain one of them--"

     "I call it my shadow form," I interrupt. "I gives me high speed and makes me somewhat invisible, just a silhouette. I can still feel things but no one can touch me. Like a shadow."

     "Yes. And you can sense other mutants."

     "What?"

     "You didn't know?" he asks.

     "No....That must've been how I knew about you...."

     "It's similar to my mutation, but you can track them and I can't, and you can't sense all their mutations like I can. You also have the ability to transfer your mutations into another mutant and to use another mutant's abilities for yourself as well as extract their mutations entirely. I'm still very amazed by that one. There is no other mutant on the planet who can do it. You're one of a kind." He smiles.

     "How could I have not known about these mutations until now?" I ask, utterly confused.

     "Well, Mac, you've never been around another mutant before."

     "Mac?"

     "Makenna is so formal."

     "Okay, Ash." He grins.

     "So...can I try it?" I ask.

     "Transferring our powers? Mac, not only is that dangerous for me, but also for you."

     "Why?"

     "Because your mutation is barely developed. You can't control it so we don't know what you're capable of," he explains.

     "Well if I'm the only mutant on Earth who can do it, how is someone supposed to teach me how to do it?" I ask.

     "Dr. Obrian is a brilliant guy. Don't underestimate him. He will help you," Ashton answers.

     "What are his mutations?" I wonder.

     "His mutations are surprizingly similar to yours. He has mutations consisting of the mind exactly like yours. He can also persuade any living thing to do anything he likes."

     "So is it strange that we're so similar?"

     "It's definately...curious," he answers.

     When we get back to the car, a dilema comes to mind.

     "Ash, where are we going to sleep tonight?"

     "Checking into hotels is also very risky, so we're going to be sleeping in here. We're not going to take any chances," he replies.

     As I'm leaning my seat back, I groan. "I'm beginning to wonder if it's risky or if we just don't have the funds."

     Ashton laughs. "We don't have the funds because it's risky. I was told not to fly, check into hotels, use credit cards....You get it," he says. He leans back and grabs something from the back seat. He hands  me a blanket and covers himself with his own. 

     "I'm going to be so sore by the end of this week," Ash says.

     I laugh. "Yeah, me too."

     "G'night, Mac."

     I yawn. " 'Night, Ash."