Chapter Eighteen - Away from You

Start from the beginning

 When the general mentioned the ‘single assassin’ his eyes shifted from the advisors and other officials to Lilly at the far end of the table.  Yet he presented the information as if it was directed to everyone except Lilly.  His eyes then didn’t budge from a single location—Lilly, “Miss-” he paused cueing to Lilly to fill the gap.

“Damned,” she said a single word.

“Miss Damned,” he seemed a slight bit puzzled over the name.  He disregarded it and continued, “Miss Damned, are you up to the task of single handedly taking down a heavily guarded fortress that currently has well over two hundred armed men protecting it?” Lilly tried to respond but he cut her off, “Are you willing to face the consequences if you get captured or killed?” she tried to respond again but once again he talked over her, “ARE you ready to fight for your country and take place in an underground war that has been raging on for over a century!?” His voice thundered louder than ever.

The room went quite; Lilly realized that finally he had allowed her to talk. She said in a firm voice, “Yes.”

***

It had been a day now since his Mistress left him to fend for his own.  She was still in the capital but somehow he knew that wouldn’t be for much longer—she was going to Egypt.  He looked down at his finger; the nail had grown almost two inches past the skin in the last day.  The finger had darkened even more, it looked sick—diseased.  He was far from home right now, Seattle; he kept jumping away from the capital until he hit the coast and Seattle was where he ended up.  The sky was overcast and chilly light fuzz was dropping from the sky.  Moss covered everything as if it had been raining for months nonstop, it probably has.

Now, he had to find some nobody to kill.  He looked up at the sky, letting the fuzz speckle his face.  The rooftop he was on gave him no cover at all—but it was high and easy to look down into the city. He could see a stadium and a large fenced off pile of rubble that covered several blocks in the middle of the city. He allowed his eyes to glaze over the torn rubble. Someone has to be living in it, most certainly someone no one would miss.  It looked like miles of garbage in the center of a metropolis, a perfect home for the breading of lost and worthless people.  The destruction must have been from a terrorist attack, but there was no reason why it still sat there, untouched.  A monument to the moment maybe?  He was sure sites like this lay in rubbles all over the world, the perfect home for those that would never be missed.  He liked the rubble.

He jumped and appeared in the center of the trash heaven, he was surprised when he didn’t see a soul around him.  Typical, everyone was buried underground, away from the rain. Being drenched for months on end was not a life for anyone.  Not even the life for the poor and homeless to stand.  Sin rubbed his skin, the air was cold—almost freezing, it felt like summer had about come to an end.  Fall was fast approaching.  He wondered if snow was forecasted for the night, probably not.

He sucked in his new surroundings, rubble and crushed concrete was everywhere, it looked like he was standing on asphalt—it had aged yellow lines on it—maybe it used to be a parking lot or road at one point in time. Further along was a stack of concrete at least twenty feet high.  The mound had many holes and gaps in it—a perfect spot to hide.  He admired the green tinge on everything around him and imagined what the wreckage looked like before disaster stuck. 

He imagined a four lane street below him, several large buildings shadowing its cleaned streets.  It looked as if one of the buildings was thrown upwards from below, that it tilted on its side and crashed down on another.  That the single building destroyed countless others—screams and death followed, loud crashing, smoke, dust, fires, hell on earth.  Maybe this wasn’t an act of terror; maybe this was something natural, a massive earthquake.  Either way he was surprised he never heard of the disaster, maybe it was from before he was born.  At least eighteen years ago. Eighteen years ago, that was well after the Third World War.  It had to have been internal, but not being cleaned up, that confused him.