Garen, Rubicon International Book One

Garen

~~~Free Sample~~Not Entire Book~~

Rubicon International, Book One

by

Ann Gimpel

Undercover Shifter Bad Boys = Alphas With Serious Attitude

Tumble Across the Rubicon Into the Death-Riddled World of International Espionage

Copyright Page

All rights reserved.

Copyright © February 2016, Ann Gimpel

Cover Art Copyright © February 2016, Fiona Jayde

Edited by: Angela Kelly

Names, characters, and incidents depicted in this book are products of the author's imagination, or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or people living or dead, is entirely coincidental and beyond the intent of the author.

No part of this book may be reproduced or shared by any electronic or mechanical means, including but not limited to printing, file sharing, e-mail, or web posting without written permission from the author.

Publishing history: Garen was originally released as Miranda's Mate by Liquid Silver Books in July 2013. It's been substantively rewritten and reedited. Re-released by Ann Gimpel and Dream Shadow Press in June 2016.

This is a sample of Garen provided for your reading pleasure.

The Birth of Rubicon International

Crossing the Rubicon is an expression that means taking an irrevocable step, casting the dice, and being willing to live with the consequences.

Boston Harbor

September, 1773

"You can come out now."

Garen pounded a fist on the cabin Lars had barricaded himself into a few hours after their ship sailed out of Marseille's harbor four weeks before. They'd run into a spate of rough weather, or they'd have made Boston a week earlier.

Garen knocked again, louder this time although as a mountain cat shifter, Lars had exceptionally keen hearing.

"Stop!" Lars' heavily accented voice growled from beyond the door. Moments later, it flew open.

Garen fell back a pace. His friend was noticeably lighter, and his face held a haggard aspect. "Christ, you look like hell. I know you didn't leave your cabin much, but didn't the crew bring you food?"

A gurgling snort rippled past Lars' lips. "What for? I would just have heaved it back up. I ate, but not much."

Garen gazed about the cabin. "Looks like you're ready to leave."

Lars didn't answer. Just moved his collection of valises, crates, and leather bags toward the door. "I have been ready to leave for weeks. I will need a day or two to recover."

Privately, Garen thought he'd need longer than that, but shifters had decent recuperative powers. Much more efficient than their human counterparts.

"Where are your things?" Lars gathered his long, white-blonde hair in both hands and tied a leather thong around it, binding it into a thick queue that hung down his back.

"I hired a lackey. He'll be around any moment for your luggage. A carriage on the docks will take us into town."

Lars squeezed his gray eyes shut for a moment. "I cannot begin to describe how anxious I am to get off this ship." He dropped into shifter mind speech. "Cats were never meant to travel over water."