Leaves

☔☼*

                          I wish I could sleep. Sitting here at the dinner table was boring. "So, how's Mark?" asked my  mom curiously. I sighed, and answered her. "He's good. Which is good for me, too." Tonight's dinner was just me and my mom and my older sis. She was 22, and a pharmacist. Her name was Kathlyn. "I'm curious about this Mark dude. I've never actually met him, so I have my suspicisions." Kathlyn commented. That made me sigh again. I suddenly needed some fresh air. Or I just wanted to see Mark. No—I needed fresh air. "I'm finished. And I'm going outside for a bit." I stood up and walked to the door.

It was late spring and the air was warm, but not too warm. I stood in my front lawn, the grass was a light shade of brown. The trees were almost leaf-less. Wherever I looked, the image of Mark appeared in my mind—almost as if it reminded me of what I would lose once I left. I heard the door behind me open, and footsteps were coming closer until I saw my sister standing beside me. "Mark is a nice guy. he's handsome—" Oh gosh, he was really handsome. "—and I'm sure you'll like him." Kathlyn nodded and replied, "I'm glad you met your perfect guy. Mine, well, is a different story." That meant Joshua left her, right? They broke up, and she's only telling me now! "Why didn't you tell me you guys broke up?" I asked, a bit angrily. Kathlyn looked down and was slient for a while before a grin crept up on her face. "We didn't break up. He...proposed to me!" Suddenly she broke into tears and was laughing. I couldn't help but join her, since this was huge news for all of us. I guess we were a bit loud, because mom came outside too. "What in the—" We double-hugged her. Kathlyn told her the news, and she screamed with us.