XX. TRIAL AND ERROR

Start from the beginning

"Back pocket. Back pocket," Clary repeated, holding him up as Isaac finally went to help. "What's wrong?" she asked when the rune didn't work.

"The rune is weak," Michael announced, looking at his son with sorrow, but with one sniff, Isaac knew it was fake, that it wasn't real.

"Ravener venom must be spreading," Clary thought, "We have to get him help. We...we closed the Portal."

"Valentine's got a standing Portal," Michael told them. And while Clary and Jace didn't object, Isaac thought it weird that the man would know such a thing. He was a prisoner, when was he let out to see the Portal? Or was he lying?

They began to walk then. "Hey, Jace, stay with me. Hey. Do you remember our first demon fight? We were way out past the Institute, way up at Kinshasa. You were only eight, but you were so brave. Do you remember what you said?"

Jace panted, answering, "'I'm ready to die.'"

"And then I said, 'Sometimes it's as brave to live as it is to die.' Do you remember?"

"I do," Jace said as they stopped. His breathing was heavy as he struggled to remain conscious, "It's true. It's you."

Even after that, Isaac still didn't believe him. He still didn't trust the man who felt virtually nothing after returning with his son – who didn't feel relief or happiness, hope, or anything. But he said nothing, knowing that it wasn't smart to speak in front of Michael, but also that he knew the others wouldn't believe anything he said – thinking it lies.

"Let's go," Michael spoke before leading them to the Portal. They went through it quickly, Clary thinking of the only people she knew could help them – the wolves. Luke was their ally, he would help them when the Clave wouldn't.

Quickly, Isaac kicked open the door before the four of them walked in, Clary calling, "We need help!"

"Clary, what happened?" Simon said, getting up quickly to meet his friend.

"We thought we found Valentine, but he was already gone," Clary explained, placing Jace down on one of the booths.

"Michael Wayland?" Luke asked, confused, as Jace groaned again. Isaac knew that he too was skeptical, an ally that believed he wasn't who he said he was.

"Valentine took my mother with him, but we found Jace's father," Clary continued.

"What? I thought Valentine killed Jace's father," Simon said, looking at Isaac, who shrugged. Not wanting to go over the details, Isaac moved away from Simon and sat down in the booth, not caring enough to help Jace when the blond would easily leave him for dead if it came to it.

"He tried," Michael answered, looking at his old friend with pain, "Hello, Lucian."

Isaac smelt betrayal and jealously from Michael, and his interest was piqued from it. He wondered why exactly Michael would be jealous of Luke. He had nothing of a rivalry between the two 'friends'.

"This can't be," Luke said in disbelief, a feeling that him and Isaac shared. But Isaac also held suspicion, not shock of happiness, which was what Luke was feeling. No, they were very different, and Isaac knew that he was alone with his distrust for the man. "I thought I'd never see you again," Luke stammered the last part out.

"I never thought I'd see anyone again," Michael countered, looking between Luke and his 'son'.

"What happened?" Luke asked, never taking his eyes off of Michael. Isaac wasn't either, but he knew that Luke was looking at the man to make sure he wouldn't disappear.