Chapter 8: Decisions, Decisions.

I felt the bed sag as Tyler settled into it with me for the night. He pulled me close to his chest and kissed my head. "I know you're awake," he mumbled into my hair. My eyes flickered open and gazed at Tyler.

His deep hazel eyes bore into mine, making me feel even guilty at what I was about to do. "What's wrong?" he whispered, sweeping my face with his steady gaze. "Nothing," I mumbled back, burying my burning face into the pillow.

"Babe, I know you're not o-."

"I said nothing's wrong!"

I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I was afraid he would crack me and prevent me from running away. He would rather me stay with him than his pack go through life altering changes.

Tyler didn't say a word the rest of the night.

                                                   +++

I woke with a cold, empty spot next to me. There was a note on Tyler's pillow explaining he had gone on a run with Nick and would be back around noon. It was nine o'clock right now.

My feet knew what they were doing before my mind did. I silently rushed all over the room, filling a backpack with all the necessities I would need. I slipped into a pair of black leggings, running shoes, and a pullover. I pulled my hair into a ponytail, just in case I ran into Tyler. I could pull it off that I was just going for a run. Not likely, though.

I waited, sitting on the window sill. It was a good two hours before I saw Nick and Tyler emerge from the woods, in human form. I crouched, like a cat about to pounce. As soon as the back door closed behind them, I jumped from the window, breaking into a full out sprint before my feet even hit the ground.

I ran a good quarter of a mile before I turned and looked back. The pack house barely loomed over the treetops. It would be the last I would see of it. Tears sprang to my eyes, but I turned and ran before they could spill.

Hours passed. I watched as the sun raced across the sky and began to set. I found a good, tall tree and began to settle for the night. It wasn't until I was sure I was secure that I allowed myself to think.

Where was I even going?

What was I going to do there?

I first thought of places that would provide protection. The forest, of course. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that would be illogical. They would be expecting me to hide there. They would know to catch me there.

The self-absorbed side of me scoffed in anger.

Why can't we have a little comfort? she retorted.

A distant memory tugged itself to the surface of my brain. I remembered long ago when my mother and father took me to the beach. I loved it there; the breeze, the smell, even the wind whipping sand across my ankles, leaving sharp cuts behind.

I considered the possibility of the beach. It had everything I needed, basically. I could eat fish and other sea creatures. I could buy some water at a grocery store. There ought to be some woodland near by, offering shelter.

Alrighty then, South Carolina, here I come!

______________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE

if this isn't late, I don't know what is. I'm so sorry, I'm just extremely busy and lazy. I WILL update again by next Sunday. that is a promise.

Vote

Comment

Follow