Chapter 9: Powers are Used

Reader, have you noticed something amiss?

    Me and my sisters have yet to use our powers.

    I am well aware that you know our powers. But you haven’t read in this book how and where we use them, am I correct?

    Well, in this chapter, you can imagine just how our powers are used.

--------------------------------------Beginning of Story------------------------------------

      The rest of the day went smoothly and wonderfully. Of course we still had to rehearse, but it was a lot less boring and tiring.

      My sisters were as cheery as usual, but it was less annoying. I suppose I had already gotten used to their happy dispositions. Besides, they weren’t ambushing me anymore. That’s certainly something to rejoice about!

      After supper, I soaked in my nightly bubble bath. Sigh. It’s so calming.

      I grabbed a book on a table next to my bathtub. It was about fairy tales, folklore. I was so engrossed with it.

      I realized three-quarters of an hour had already gone by. I put the book back on the brass table again.

      I reached for my robe hung on the chair beside the table. Stepping out, I wrapped myself in it. The robe was made of plush, purple velvet. It was soft all over. I tied its ribbon in a secure knot.

      I walked out of my bathing-room. My feet padded softly on the marble floor of my chamber. I started to slip the robe off when suddenly the knob of my door twisted, and my door flung open.

      I shrieked. I froze the intruder in his tracks. Once I had enough courage to face him, and had already tied my robe again, I turned.

     “Jeremiah!” I said, shocked. How does he keep unlocking my door? And why does he not know how to knock? “You gave me such a fright!”

     He was frozen, from head to toe in one huge block of ice. His eyes were mobile, but the rest of his body was not. He could still breathe, but air was restricted.

     “Wait just a moment. I will call Amber to melt that block of ice you’re trapped in.” I ran off to find my sister. Mind you, I already changed out of my robe and into my sleeping-clothes.

     As I expected, she was in her room. She was brushing her red curls.

     “You look like there is an emergency. Where is it?” she said, her eyes never leaving the mirror.

     “ Jeremiah came into my room just as I was to change into my bed-clothes. I froze him in a miniature glacier. You have to melt it, air is less inside ice.” She immediately looked up when I said his name.

      “Show him.” She said, already opening the door.

     We ran to my room, bare feet padding across the ivory floor. I opened the door to my room and showed him to her.

     I forgot to mention that he could still hear, but only strains of words. Amber assured him that she would be very careful in melting the ice

     “Do not worry. It won’t hurt if you don’t fidget around, alright?”

     His eyes seemed to widen. But he couldn’t do anything that contradicts what my sister instructed.

     Amber stepped back a few feet. The flames would be too hot if she was too close.

     Flames came from her palms, directed onto the ice. She slowly melted the glacier.

     After a few minutes, he was free. Amber wished me good-night and walked out of my chamber towards hers.

     Once she was out of earshot, I reprimanded him.

     “Don’t you knock?!” I said. I said it quietly, but with rage.

     “I’m sorry. I didn’t know that you can freeze me into a glacier!”

     “Ha! It’s your fault! If you had knocked, you wouldn’t be frozen solid!” I kept my voice down, well aware that most were already asleep.

     “I didn’t know you would scream and freeze me!” he fought back.

     “Why have you come here, anyway? Is it a habit of yours to barge in people’s bed chambers while they are dressing?” I was still mad at him.

      “I just decided to visit.” He said lamely.

     “That’s it. Get out. Now.” I put emphasis n the last word.

     “Forgive me. Good Night, Princess.” Said he. He was still in my room.

     I pushed him out and shut the doors behind him. I am not sure how I can survive being married to him.

     He just decided to visit? Right now I just want to slap him straight in the face. Or maybe stab him with an icicle.

     I lay myself down to sleep. I immediately drifted off into deep slumber.

Jeremiah’s Point of View

    Actually, I fibbed about wanting to visit her just because I decided to.

     In truth, I wanted to visit her like the other night, when I poured my heart out to her in her sleep.

     I am still confident that she doesn’t know about that yet. I am not planning to tell her until we are married.

     As I walked in, I didn’t expect to be frozen solid. I never knew she was that powerful.

    Of course I knew she could freeze objects. But freezing human beings in a miniature glacier is out of the question.

     Also, I planned to clasp the locket she gave me 8 years ago around her neck again. She deserves to have it back.

     I suppose it is my way to say :“Remember me, wherever you go, whenever.”

     I am now walking back to my bed chamber. I am stepping as quietly as I can on the castle’s ivory floor. My waking up of everyone else would worsen the night.

     As I changed into my bed-clothes, I thought of a way to make amends to-morrow. I have to apologize to her in a way that it sounds sincere, that I mean it.

     I still did not know what to do as I drifted into sleep.

         But that does not mean I didn’t wake again and go to her room.