Chapter:3

I got up at the right time and got dressed and took my pain meds for my knee. Then went to the stable with the Aussie behind me. I opened the doors and fed the horses. Toby was there soon giving the horses fresh water.

We both then went over to the stock pens to feed and water the bulls, steers, calves, and sheep. I went to get the girls up while he went to start breakfast. Then knocked on the boys' bunkhouse door. Devon was already up getting the boys dressed.

After a quick breakfast of eggs and biscuits I led them out to the stable. My horse and the mares were already saddled in the ring thanks to my awesome brother. The trainee horse was put out into the paddock to graze.

I gave them a few ground rules before letting them go up to the horses. Only two weren't picked out of the twenty six horses. I put them out in the paddock and taught the kids how to put a bridle on the horses. The younger kids needed help while the older ones were able to.

I then taught the older kids how to saddle their horse and help the younger ones. Finally we all went to the ring. I had them mount their horse there. Gabby, Devon and I helped those that couldn't reach the saddle and adjusted stirrups.

Most of the younger kids thought it was pretty cool to be on the back of a horse. After a full morning of getting them use to the saddle it was lunch time. Devon and Gabby took them to the dining hall while I stayed back loosening cinches and putting fresh water in the trough.

I tied the reins back so the horses wouldn't get hurt. Then I went to eat. Toby gave me a sandwich and a bag of chips before sitting down next to me. "Busy?" He asked. I nodded. "It's just going to become even more busy." He said.

"We should have split the camps. Have one this month and one next month." I said. "Now you say something? I wish you said that three months before this baby sis!" He chuckled. I playfully punched his arm.

"I'm serious sis. It would have been easier." He said before taking a bite. "I know. I wish you would have said something last December though." I said pulling the 'I wasn't supposed to think about that it was your fault' card and face.

"Some days I curse having a stubborn sister like you around." He said. "Least I didn't give up riding when I fell." I said. "Great thing." He said. "Just be glad yours isn't all summer."

"Super glad." I said before taking the last bite of my sandwich and throwing my trash away. I went back to the arena and got the horses ready for the afternoon part of the session. Slowly the kids were coming back. They got their horses and mounted.

All afternoon until three I had them going over walking, trotting, and certain gaits that were slow and easy. Then at three I called it quits and showed them how to brush the horses down along with mucking stalls out and giving the horses fresh water.

Once they were gone to supper I stayed behind cleaning up in the office. A knock echoed through the small room. I looked up seeing Mason at the door. "Toby said you'd be in here if not in the arena." He said.

"Just filing some papers before I go to eat." I said as I took some papers over to the filing cabinet. I placed them in before going back to the desk. My e-mail was left open so I checked it before logging out and shutting the computer down for the night.

Once everything was locked up and closed I walked near him to the dining hall. We both didn't say anything while walking. At the door he opened it letting me go in first. We both fixed our plates and sat on opposite sides of the rooms.

After it was over there was the bonfire. I didn't usually go to it. It's just s'mores and roasting marshmallows and talking about who is who. I went back to the stable and saddled Gizmo, the trainee horse. After working with him for almost an hour I decided to put him up and try tackless with mine. Mounting him was difficult considering he was seventeen hands tall.

Once I was seated on his back he stood still waiting for me to give him a command. I had him walk around the ring before a gathered trot. He willingly let me guide him around with slight leg movements while I kept both hands on my thighs.

One thing I definitely need to do is keep my right leg strength up so Sky could feel the slightest touch from me. Once I was done for the night the bonfire was still going. I cleaned my tack and brushed my horse down before giving him a sugar cube and leaving.

The fire was slowly dying as I found a seat behind the group. They were listening to my brother tell stories about legends in the area. We both heard those stories from our grandfather when we were this age.