Brothers

"Seriously Charlie, this is why I don't go out to coffee with you. Just pick something already."

"This is why I don't go out for coffee at all, I don't have a preference."

"Have can you not have a preference. Everyone has a preference. Bitter, dark, foamy, light, sweet. Pick one?"

"Honestly I don't care."

"You know what, you go find us a table, and I will pick you something. Sound fair?"

"Sounds great to me."

Charlie stepped out of the busy line and scanned the cafe for an empty space. Despite his protests his brother had dragged him to this place instead of their normal bar. He wasn't against coffee houses, he just didn't need them. If he drank coffee it was at work and black. Simple, fast and does its job. And now he was stuck looking for a seat in a crowded cafe that he didn't want to be at.

It was a decent enough place to meet. Each table was slightly different from the next. The seats all matched at their own tables but were also different from each other. There were groupings of 4 person and 2 person tables spread out against the large window looking out on downtown. The customers ranged from young to old, from hipster to office professionals. All of this equaled a very full cafe with no seats left.

Charlie made one lap around the perimeter when luck struck. A fellow customer caught his eye and indicated his table. Charlie nodded his head and made his way over.

"Thanks man. This place is packed."

"Yeah. It's crazy in here."

"Is it always like this?"

"Every time I come it is."

"Interesting. Anyway, thanks again."

"No problem."

Charlie slid into the seat claiming the table.

"Sam." Charlie yelled and waved. His brother nodded back. In his hands were two plates, but no coffee. Sam brought the plates over to the table and set them down.

"Don't look at me that way." Sam said.

"What? I didn't say anything."

"No, but I know what you're thinking. I bring you to this coffee house for fancy coffee and now I bring you fancy pastries. And you think it's weird."

"I didn't say that."

"You thought it."

"I did not. Okay, yeah I did."

"Will you give it a chance?"

"I'm here aren't I?"

"Great, because I really need to talk to you."

"As long as you're not about to tell me you're gay, then I'll listen."

"Wait, what?"

"Sam your order's ready."

"Go get our drinks."

Sam picked up the coffee cups from the end counter and brought them back to the table.

"So what the hell was the comment about. 'As long as you're not gay'."

"Not what I said." Charlie stirred the top of his drink to disperse the little heart drawn in the foam.

"Fine, 'tell me you're gay', what the hell dude?"

"You already told me two weeks ago. Still not a issue for me. And if that's what you wanted to talk about, we could have done that over beers."