'Tell me.'

'I will tell what I know in exchange of my freedom, and one condition.'

'Name it.' And Legolas moved closer touching the iron bars.

'Tell her nothing. For her own sake. Safirah deserves a life free of guilt, do not take that chance away from her.' And there Legolas stood trembling upon hearing her name once again.

[][][]

Meanwhile, the Huntsman's Inn was bustling with serving maids as more and more customers walked in. The hour was very late yet the Townland's folks seemed to be livelier at night. The heart of Pelennor Field twinkled under the moonlit sky and its  many buildings cast steep rooftops and slim towers. At a distance Raen and Galdohir halted, from atop the rolling hill they marveled at the sight. Galdohir gathered behind her, as he had been her rear guard since they started the seemingly endless walk, while Galu sat two strides before them. The spring wind blew and sighed but they did not stay watching for long. It was almost midnight when they've reached the Huntsman. Galdohir decided to leave the Hound in the stables for Galu would make some quail. A few threw curious glances at the strange faces  upon their entry and Raen could not help but notice the queer folks inside the common room. There were Dwarves, a dozen few, and rivermen returning from the docks. It was a place where laughter never ceased, though occasionally some drunk men get to brawl, and that was the most entertaining part.

But came no fist fight that night, just a couple of drunk men cursing fairly true words at each other. Galdohir decided it was best to get a room first, for he was eager to escape the crowd. When he got back,  Raen had gotten herself someone to talk. And he claimed a round table at a corner and ate quietly hiding his grim face under a deep hood, dropping eaves intentionally.

'You got to help me,' Raen insisted. 'Our brother needs us -- he is a Watcher. The only reason why Beren couldn't be here is...he's late or in trouble.'

'Or dead!' Felamund said raising a brow.

'Beren's not dead. He's...'

'Taken to the citadel,' Ulthelion butted in. 'We know what happened. Silvery guards took him to the King's dungeon. Do you even know what that means? Getting him out of there is suicide and I'm not in the mood to waste my time and sweat. Accept it Raen, Beren is lost.'

Raen smashed her fist on the table, her cheeks had reddened as her ears flamed. 'That's it? You're not going to help me?'

'We don't take orders from you,' Felamund said under his breath. 'Carahir says we stay low and hawk the streets - we stay low and quiet. You don't want to attract unwanted attention in this town. Enough with Beren, he wouldn't be there if you were not a failure. It's all your fault, the fire powder you flaunted was nothing but a hoax.'

'It wasn't! Someone ruined my plan,' Raen grabbed him by the collar as her body leaned over the round table. 'Tell the boy I have five hundred fireballs at my cellar, I know how to make them myself. Now off you go before I blast your balls out of here. I'll get Beren out no matter what.' And the two men saw the flame in her eyes. They made haste for the door without looking back, but in their hearts they were dismayed.

When they were gone Raen got back to her seat pondering for a while. She had not tasted the mead or the garlic bread on the table. Off all people who would let her down, she did not think  the Watchers would. And she knew there were eyes around and Beren's demise would soon reach Gireon and his sons. Yet, if he would send a rescue plan, that she cannot guess.

'Did those men bothered you?' Galdohir came with his plate and sat beside her. Raen did not speak her mind. She was about to grab the mead when Galdohir stole it first and emptied the mug as she watched in pressed brows. And when a tavern-maid passed by he cast the mug away. 'It is not proper for a woman to drink a man's drink. Get a fruit wine if you please.'

'I have no love for wine,' she said grimly.

'Then you must hated a grog.'

Raen felt the time was not good to share her thoughts, or her worries to a stranger she just met, yet her anger was quenched and she was no longer frowning. For some unknown reason she found his company to be useful, of how she couldn't explain. And there she gazed at him as he chew and move his eyes about the room. Until she stirred and said, 'Galdohir, I'm going to ask you a favor. Well, I lost my coins back in the river but I can pay you when I get home.'

'Help you rescue Beren?'

'Yes,' she whispered. But Galdohir did not give her an answer, not just yet. The Elf knew better than to say yes.

'No. It's too dangerous,' he said after drinking another mug.

'If you demand a payment, I'll give you this as a guarantee,' Raen took the bracelet off and placed it on his palms. 'These are real rubies. Of how much this is worth I do not know. I value this dearly. If you need...'

'Take it back, I'm not wearing an Elvish bridal bracelet.'

'Elvish?' Raen rounded her eyes in amazement, fingering the rubies and slipping it back to her wrist.

'Yes. Whoever you stole it from - give it back. Look closely. Not all stones were rubies. This one is melidin,' Galdohir pointed out. 'red elf-stone is rare. Whoever lost this relic must be digging everywhere to find it.'

'Why do everyone thinks I stole this?' Raen mumbled to herself. 'But please, I need your help. You see, my brother was taken by the guards for a crime he did not do. I need to get him out!'

'And if I don't help you?'

'I'll do it myself in any way I could think of.'

'Who would do such hopeless acts over someone?'

'Me,' Raen shifted in her chair pouting some more. 'Beren is more than a brother to me. He was always there when I needed him. When I woke up and remembered nothing that day he was there watching. And he did not ask anything in return, or expect more than I had given him.'

At length Galdohir stared at her tempted to tell her the truth about her past. Yet he held his tongue for even though some strange magic had taken her memories, her heart did not change. He had been following Raen for months hiding in the shadows on his gray cape. And he had put her out of danger many times before without her knowing. She would be enrage, he thought, if she knew he was the one who cut the wires at the Greyford Bridge.

Finally, he sighed and pulled back to lean on his chair. 'I cannot help you,' he said. Raen eyed him disappointed. She expected he would. 'But maybe you can enter the palace and get your brotherguard. There will be a gathering in four days. At the night the King announces the passing of Stewardship to a new Lord, a group of mummers will entertain the crowd.'

'Brilliant! So you want me to be a clown?'

'I couldn't imagine how you would look on dyed false hair, but no, there will be no clown but actors. I've seen this mummers before. The kind of pantomime they do are those tales forgotten by Men, if not unknown and strange. If you are to enter the King's dungeon you should pass through his halls, and there is no way you could gain entry if not invited.'

Hope suddenly kindled in Raen's eyes. 'Where can I find them?'

[][][]

A/N

Beren finally said it, he was only thinking what's best for Raen. There were more about what he told the Elf but of course I wouldn't reveal it all, yet. And yes, he knows a lot. As to Raen, she will definitely enter the palace - who knows what she will do!? Leave your thoughts below. -Haz