4.0

Day Before the Wedding

Bella scraped across the wooden deck of the Cullen's house the afternoon before the wedding. Kate was watching her leaned up against the railing trying to suppress a bored expression on her face. After just getting invited to the whole wedding ordeal, she didn't want to be uninvited once more. To be fair, Bella was absolutely awful walking in heels. When she picked up her feet, she fell over. When she didn't, she scraped the heel making an awful sound.

All around her, the outdoor decorations were being put up for the wedding. The Cullen siblings were out getting actual trees to use as the wooden benches. Kate did have to say, Alice knew how to party plan. This was all just a little extra in her opinion.

The girl in question glanced over at Kate and they both shared a slight scowl at being so near each other but quickly covered it up. Alice still thought Kate was rude and ungrateful while Kate still hadn't forgiven her for not caring what happened to her while the Cullens left and for whisking Bella off to the Volturi, thus causing the whole vampire debate to ensue.

"You just have to break them in," Alice told Bella.

Bella gave her an incredulous look, "I've been breaking them in, for three days. Can I just go barefoot?"

Kate scoffed already knowing the answer before Alice said it, "No. Absolutely not!"

"I'm just thinking it's a little much, you know? The dress, the shoes, all of this..."

Kate looked over the railing to see the Cullens coming back with torn down trees fashioned into benches. She let out a little chuckle under her breath.

"A little much is an understatement there, Bella. I don't think the royal wedding was this extravagant."

Bella smiled, "Which one?"

"Yes. All of them."

Alice must have gotten offended, "No! It's exactly enough. Tomorrow will be perfect!"

Alice left to go tell her siblings were to put the decorations as, according to her, they had no vision. Bella and Kate smirked and shook their heads as they watched the scene unfold.

Kate slung her arm around her sister, "Come on, let's go home. The blushing bride needs her beauty sleep."

"I'm not a blushing bride."

"You're right, I don't think I've ever seen you blush in my entire life. That's one thing that won't be missing when you're all sparkly and white."

She dragged her sister off to her Jeep and the two sisters sped off home to spend their last night alone together. They sat on Bella's bed with a bottle of wine opened both of them having had at least two glasses. They spend the time laughing at how over the top Alice had gotten and how much she had been driving Edward up a wall. That was, until Bella reminded Kate how irritated she was when she was getting Kate's measurements for her maid of honor dress.

"Hold still," Alice chided.

Kate squirmed, "Listen it's not my fault you have hands of ice."

"You're just used to that dog of yours."

"Hey! Cut it out, okay! No more fighting you two, alright?" Bella snapped who had been sitting on a chair in one of their luxurious bathrooms watching her sister get tortured by the petite vampire. "You're going to be family soon so get over it. At least until the wedding is over. This place is Switzerland!"

Alice and Kate glowered at each other before both sighing and smoothing out their faces at least pretending that they didn't despise one another. This seemed to satisfy Bella who had gone back to reading Romeo and Juliet. Alice's hand grazed Kate's stomach and slightly pinched her when she wrapped the tape measure around her waist.

"Okay, now you're doing it on purpose," Kate growled.

"Kate!" Bella groaned.

Reliving the memory, Kate rolled her eyes while Bella laughed and took another sip of her wine.

"Where did you get this by the way?" she asked.

Kate shrugged, "I have a souce."

"How long did it take to convince Sam to get it for you?" Bella asked knowing immediately who had gotten it for her

"Surprisingly not long at all."

"They have a soft spot for you over on the rez," Bella almost sounded melancholic.

"They like you too, you know."

They sat in silence for a while each lost in their own thoughts. Tomorrow, everything would different between them. Though, Kate supposed things were different when Bella met Edward but tomorrow would make everything official, permanent. She looked over at her sister with a sad look on her face. As if feeling her eyes on her, Bella looked up.

"What?"

Kate shook her head, "Everything's going to change now, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Bella paused, "I'll still be your sister you know?"

"Yeah but now I don't get first dibbs on you anymore."

Bella laughed, "Yeah, I guess not... Kate, I'm happy."

Kate lifted her wine glass up in a toast, "I'm happy you're happy. To my sister, Bella Swan, soon to be Cullen. Who has bravely and stupidly survived by mere chance to get to this point, may she be graced with a long, happy life, and remember that I'll always be your pain in the ass little sister."

They both sipped out of their wine glasses and set them down.

"Does this mean you're okay with the vampire change?" Bella asked.

Kate smirked back trying not to get upset, "Not a chance."

Bella chuckled to herself before crawling under the covers and opening them up to Kate so they could sleep together like they did when they were little kids. Kate shut out the light and crawled into the bed next to her sister.

"Hey," Bella whispered.

"Mhmm?"

"Thank you."

"For what?" Kate asked.

"For always being there."

"You're my sister. Always."

Kate rolled over and faced the wall away from Bella. She could hear her shuffle into a comfortable position next to her and slowly fall asleep. Kate stayed up a little while longer staring at the wall thinking of how everything would change tomorrow. Tomorrow would be the beginning of the end for her sister. She bit her lip to keep her sniffs quiet because Kate had started to cry. Kate wouldn't stop fighting for her sister's life, but she could wait until after the wedding to fight for her life. The tears fell down her face onto the pillow as Kate cried herself to sleep that night.