Chapter 18

Since that day my world has felt like it was tilted on the edge. Nothing was right and the single constant in my life was Jacob. Jacob had become everything to me. Parent, protector, companion, friend. He was still all those things but our relationship had started to change. I was older now and he no longer needed to be a stand in parent.

He had gone back home. Not to stay, to visit. I went with him. We could never be apart, by choice now versus necessity. Jacob wasn't a child any longer either, he no longer needed Billy to watch out for him.

Billy was as stalwart as the sea, his house a permanent, never changing feature. The beat up old van we now drove squeaked to a stop in front of the small house. Billy wasn't expecting us, Jacob had wanted it to be a surprise. Honestly I was semi afraid we would give the poor man a heart attack. Of course the Black family is near impossible to kill. Billy proved this when he rolled onto his front porch and spotted his son. If the man could have walked he would have run across the yard. He settled for spirited yelling. Half scolding and half pride. He had a few words for me as well and his hug was just as warm as the one he gave his son. I was family too. Tears stung my eyes and I clasped him so hard he protested.

"Let go girl! You're too strong for your own good." He rasped, laughter in his voice. Jacob barked a laugh and added his arms, wrapping us both in his strength.

"If you think she's strong you must have gotten weak old man!" He taunted, voice so warm and happy I could have listened to it forever. We hadn't had much happiness in our lives. Now Jacob seemed happy all the time.

We went inside to a quiet house, Jacob looked around and I wondered what he saw. If he remembered the sister who had killed herself when she found out Paul was dead.

"So fill us in. How is LaPush nowadays?" He asked with a quick shake of his head. His smile appeared a little more forced now.

"Leah never did come back... we think she died,but we never found a body. Seth healed up fine and rejoined Sam's pack. I'm sure he'll be ecstatic to see you. The boy imprinted on some nice girl in Forks. I hear they are planning a spring wedding. Sam and Emily are expecting their second, their first is already in kindergarten. How time flies geez." He shook his head, much in the same way Jacob had. An older grizzled mirror.

"God everyone went and grew up while I was gone." Jacob sounded awed as if he could never imagine having children or weddings.

"So did you son." Billy pointed out jerking his chin at me. "You protected and raised this here little girl. Now look at her. A beautiful young woman." I blushed and the men laughed.

The rest of our time was spent visiting and catching up. Everyone was invited over and we got to meet the little ones. Emily and Sam had a beautiful daughter and Emily's belly was large with her second pregnancy. Seth brought over his imprint Kathy. A sweet girl with a wild halo of blonde hair. Jacob was welcomed back with open arms and by the time we left our hearts were as full as our bellies. It had been a good day. There was only one more thing that concerned me.

"What about Charlie?" I asked as we trundled our way down the quiet road leading back home. Jacob was silent for so long I almost doubted he had heard my whispered question.

"He knows your different.. but Nessie... he probably thinks your dead or disappeared like all the rest. He won't believe it's actually you. Do we really want to uproot his life again?" Much as the words cut, they were true. I loved Charlie and I didn't want to hurt him after everything he had no doubt been through. He was married now to Seth and Leah's mother Sue Clearwater. They were happy now, at least I hoped they were.

"No... you're right. After everything... he deserves happiness. I'll be happy watching over them. Alice said they are expecting a little one. Charlie must be so excited." I smiled at that. Happy in his happiness, he had earned it.

"So what do we do now?" I mussed as we took the turn to go back home. Jacob and I had taken up residence in the cottage that was my mothers gift. It made me feel close to them. Alice and Jasper lived in the main house.

"Now?" Somehow he knew I didn't just mean tonight, I meant all the nights to come. "We live."