Chapter 7

"Hush little Nessie. I haven't much time myself. I was on my way further south." Zafrina's red eyes tightened in sadness as she took in my anxious face.

"I'm glad to see you made it out safe. Not many did." She swallowed hard, as if even the thought of it was enough to bring this stalwart woman to tears. If Vampires had that ability, they didn't, I knew.

"I'm looking for Kachiri. I know she would have gone back home." Her gaze flickered up towards the south, I knew she wanted to be on her way. But, I needed to know what had happened. Who had made it out. Zafrina's arms had loosened, now that she knew I was safe she seemed ready to move on.

"Wait!" Startled by my outburst she paused and peered down at me. Frustrated by my inability to get what I wanted out I jumped up and clung to her shoulder, reflexively she cupped her arm beneath me. Placing my palm against her face I communicated my desperate desire to know the truth. She nodded slowly, face immeasurably sad.

"I will show you Nessie, if that is your desire. It is no easy thing you ask me. But, they were your family and you deserve to know." Zafrina's voice was heavy with the weight of everything pressing down on her powerful shoulders. I squared my shoulders resolutely. No matter what horrible things she showed me. I must know.

It was like my dream.

They flowed from the forest, black cloaks trailing behind them like wraiths. Grim and focused they fanned out, each step and movement perfectly synchronized. It made our gathering appear ragged by comparison. My parents stood resolute and strong, ready to protect me. Me the cause of all this. Out of the woods filtered the Volturi witnesses. The numbers were staggering and ours were pitiful. My eyes feasted on my parents, my family. Even in illusion they were beautiful. So proud, so strong. How much I loved them. How much I needed them right now.

Then came the part where Jacob and I fled, my bronze hair flying behind me. But this time I could see what happened. Watched as my mom fell beneath cruel fingers. My father roared in blind rage, destroying the Vampire that had taken her down. But, once he had finished I watched as the fight went out of him. Without my mother he didn't want to live. I knew this deep inside. It was how I felt about Jacob. We were apart of one another. Still, it was horrible to watch as he was overrun.

Death was everywhere. Zafrina held out for as long as she could while her comrades died around her, their bodies disappearing in the inferno that had sprung up. Soon there were only a few left among the broken bodies. I could almost smell the choking purple smoke though it wasn't real anymore. I was too shocked to even scream.

The bodies of everyone I knew and loved were littered around me, thrown into the fire like so much trash. The way they treated the bodies tore open a gaping wound in my heart. It all felt too real and I wished I was there too. I watched a pale, bare, foot step carelessly over the body of a werewolf, he whined in pain, the object of the figures focus was a few footsteps away. My father, head left beside my mother, the rest of his body was already burning. Kneeling the figure lifted the head up and smiled, hood falling back.

Aro clicked his tongue in derision "oh Edward, what a waste. I thought you were smarter than to throw the life of you and your mate away on something like this. And everyone else as well? Yes truly a waste." The false regret in his voice made me want to scream, to hurt him. The tears poured unknown down my cheeks.

"There's still Alice" he murmured tossing the head behind him. It blazed, my father's handsome face going up in smoke. The illusion faded and it wasn't until Zafrina's arms crushed me close that I realized I was screaming. Hysterical, mindless cries, the cry of a child that has seen something she can never forget and will haunt her forever.

Jacob, I needed Jacob. My eyes sought futility for his comforting form in the darkness. Then it began to click, the haunted look on his face, the way he would clam up. He knew everything that had happened. Knew and hadn't told me. His reasons were his own, but they were my family. I deserved to know, even if knowing tore me apart. Unreasoning anger I could handle. It quieted the screams and enabled me to allow Zafrina on her way. The amazon seemed unsure, both wanting to stay and wanting to go. I didn't give her much choice. Reluctantly she did go and I was thankful to be alone, I needed time to gather my thoughts. Jacob's scent was nearly on top of me now and him I couldn't handle. Turning I sprinted back into the library, slamming the doors shut I locked them. It wouldn't keep him out long. Only long enough for me to process.

It took him all of ten seconds to get the door open. I could scent him inside now, I had disappeared further into the library. Was I angry with Jacob? I wasn't sure. I had so much hurt and anger built up that I wasn't cable of dealing with. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream, I wanted to hurt something. Gritting my teeth I glared at him, he had finally found me huddled in the back corner. He could smell my anger and approached slowly.

"You liar!" Was that my voice cracking like whip, so harsh and bitter? I grabbed the thickest volume I could find and launched it at his head.

"Why didn't you tell me Jake! They are my family! I deserve to know!" His face crumbled, because I knew. There was no way he could deny knowing, not to me. He wouldn't lie only withhold the truth. Rationally I knew this, but rational and anger are two worlds apart. It was something I was quickly coming to learn.