Chapter One: Mckinley Falls

“Wake up, Mr.Hayes!” Mr.Smith snapped while slamming his yardstick across Nick’s desk. Nick woke with a jolt, rubbing the sleep out his eye. He was having that dream again, for the fifth time this week. It always ended the same: a white flash of light then the lady and the baby were gone. By now, he was so familiar with the dream that those gross, half dead dogs didn’t even scare him anymore. The ashes still did with it’s swirling tormented faces. So did the man for that matter, he just seemed cruel and inhuman. Being so far into his own mind, he almost didn’t see Mr.Smith swinging his metallic yardstick down towards Nick’s knuckles like an axe. Quickly, he reeled back his hands to avoid the attack. Mr.Smith gave a grunt of either disappointment or satisfaction. “So,” He said clutching his deadly weapon in his spindly hands with a smile on his face. “I see you're finally up. Did you get enough sleep? I hope so since, because of your tendency to sleep in school, your whole class will have twelve pages of notes on what brought about the bubonic plague due tomorrow.”

The class was split between glaring at Nick, sighing, and looking like they were about to cry. One girl from the back raised her hand and began speaking before Mr.Smith had a chance to even call on her. “Mr.Smith, tomorrow is Saturday. How are we supposed to-”

“And that's another five pages thanks to Miss Gicinto in the back.” The class erupted upon the poor girl with the blazing eyes of teenagers who had just lost their weekends to an Biology history book. “Shall we make it an even twenty?” Mr.Smith baited. The class went very silent very quickly. “Now as I was saying, the black death as it was once called was arguably the most cataclysmic event of the time it killed over-” A high pitched ringing buzzed into the room and every student's eyes filled with excitement as class was now out and they could finally go home. As a herded mass, the students  forced their way through the door and out into the hall.

Nick, attempting to blend in with the crowd and get home as quickly as possible, was practically at the door. “Mr.Hayes, a word before you go.” Damn. With a groan, Nick turned back into the class to talk to Mr.Smith.

“Yes, Mr.Smith?” Nick said looking at the man. He was a scrawny man around his mid- thirties with a bald spot forming on the back of his head in the the midst of all his greasy hair, he was a very little man- though a lot of people were small to Nick since he stood at six foot at fifteen.

“Mr.Hayes, you do realize you’ve been sleeping in my class, my class, everyday this week?” He said “my” like he couldn’t comprehend how a student could dare fall asleep in such an exciting class, especially when it was the great Mr.Smith teaching. “Now, I know you aren’t the brightest child, but even you must realize that this will cause your grade to drop. Please make some attempt to engage yourself.” Nick’s face turned a tinge of red.

“Is that all, Mr.Smith?” Nick muttered.

“Oh, yes. You may go.” Mr.Smith patted Nick shoulders liked he pitied him.

Nick slung his backpack over a shoulder and walked out the room. Nick barely had time to get out the door before his arm was getting yanked down the hall. Most people would be startled by being dragged throughout the school, Nick was used to it by now. “What took you so long?” Natt asked, her hair bounced as she hurried Nick forward. He was pretty sure that the girl was going to tear his arm out his socket, but he just let her pull him along and apologized to all the people they ran into. Whenever she was like this there was no stopping her.

Natt had been Nick’s best friend since second grade when she beat up Anthony Dublin for throwing rocks at Nick’s head and calling him a freak. Back then she was just a twig with scraped up knees and butterfly hairclips. Now though, she was completely different. Natt had chestnut skin that had a natural glow and rich green eyes that were always changing shades. Her hair went to the middle of her back and fell in waves of an ombre from light brown to blonde. She wore barely any makeup and still managed to look like a model. Natt was also the nicest and smartest person in school. If you ever needed help in calculus or someone to lift your spirits, there she was with a calculator and a joke ready.  Natt was the embodiment of an high school dream girl. Then there was Nick. Nick was just average; Tall, normal build, and mud brown eyes. He honestly didn't know why Natt was still his best friend. His only friend really. While Natt was always getting better at everything, Nick was like a turtle slowly changing at all.