Chapter Thirteen: At Fault

Audrey

I kept crying silently. Kaharap ko si Riley na nakaupo. I wanted to know everything. His side of his story. How everything got so screwed up.

"It was our fourh month anniversary. That candle light dinner was for you, it was supposed to be for us. I had no idea why Candice came, how she ended up on our house. I stopped seeing her on the same day I promised you that we'll try this marriage a shot. But then she came and you saw her. I can't balme you for accusing me. I wasn't exactly the husband of the year."

Napailing ako, I accused him without letting him explain. I didn't even ask why she was there. I just started firing false accusations.

"Then we agrued, I got angry and I didn't mean to grab you like that. I wanted to calm you and so I tried to hold your arms but you slipped in my hold. The second I realized what I did, pinagsisihan koi yon ng sobra. Pinadala kita agad sa ospital. Ayaw kong iwan kita sa ospital but I had your blood all over me. I went home to fix myself up as fast as I could so I could come back to you. I was supposed to go back to the hospital but Candice came again and fed me lies. That once you wake up, you wouldn't want to see me. That you'll loathe me and I can't take that. So, I left thinking you're much better off without me." He continued.

Now that I know his side, I could have now the closure I want. I know now who's to blame and it's me. It's my fault all along. If I didn't accuse him, all this shit wouldn't have happened. I'm the one who's at fault.

I looked at him, still crying. Lumapit siya sa akin, then he wiped down my tears.

"I'm so sorry, Audrey. I'm Sorry." Dinig ko ang sakit sa boses niya. Agad ko naman siyang niyakap.

I cried. Kumawala ako sa pagkakayakap at hinarap siya. "I'm sorry too, Riley."

Muli niyang pinunasan ang mga luha ko then he smiled.

"Please forgive me, Audrey. Please let us put it behind us and start again. Let's start again, together. I love you, Audrey. Please know that."

Riley

Nakahiga at nakayakap sa akin si ngayon si Audrey.  Seeing her cry again hurt. I remember the countless times she cried because of me and remembering it hurts. I thought I will never have her back again. That I have lost her forever. All the wrong doings I did, the mistakes I will forever regret. Hopefully in time she'll forgive me. I'm not asking her to forget all the bad things I've done. I'm just happy she gave me another chance.

Hinaplos ko ang kanyang pisngi. I'm so fucking lucky to have her back. I can never love her in isolation. Hindi ko kaya. Without her, it's not life. She wanted me to love her and I fucking did and it's insane.

Mukha namang naalimpungatan siya at tumingin sa akin.

"Hindi ka pa natutulog?" inaantok na tanong niya sa akin. It's already 2 in the morning and I'm wide awake. I'm too happy to sleep. Umiling naman ako.

"Not yet. You go back to sleep, honey." Sagot ko. Nginitian ko siya at tumango siya bilang sagot.

I'll fix every mistake that I can. I can't afford to lose her ever again. Hinalikan ko siya sa noo at mas yumakap ng mahigpit.

"I love you."

**

It's Saturday and I've been calling my realtor. Tulog pa naman si Audrey, I let her sleep in since wala siyang pasok ngayon. Nasa balkunahe ako ng condo niya. I'm selling our old house and I'm buying a new one. We'll start anew.

"I want you to e-mail me pictures of the house today." I asked.

"Sure, Mr. Fajardo. " Sagot nito then I ended the call. Pumasok na ako sa loob at sakto ang pagbukas ng pinto sa kwarto ni Audrey. Nakangiti ko siyang sinalubong.

"Hey. Morning, honey." Bati ko then I pecked her a kiss.

"Ang aga pa ah?" Sabi niya. Napatawa naman ako. Anong maaga?

"It's already nine in the morning. It's late." Inirapan niya ako at tinalikuran. Ang aga-aga ang sungit.

"Not a morning person, huh?" Asar ko sa kanya. Sumunod ako sa kanyasa kusina. "I already cooked; bacon & eggs. I'll heat up your toast."

Sinalinan ko siya ng kape at inabot iyon sa kanya. She looked pleased.

"Thanks." Sabi niya at tsaka humigop ng kaunti. Napailing na lang ako.

Habang nag-iinit ako ng tinapay ay natanggap ko ang e-mail sa akin ng realtor. Napangiti naman ako. I took out the bread from the toaster and placed it in a plate at tsaka iyon ibinigay kay Audrey. Naupo ako sa harap niya at tsaka hinawakan ang kanyang kamay.

"Remember what I asked you last night? Audrey, I want you to live with me again." Anas ko. Napakagat naman siyang labi, nag-aalangan bago tumango. Matamis naman akong ngumiti sa sagot niya. "Thank you. Starting today, it's going to be a new life for us."

Ivy.

(Not proofread.)

032017